Broken Wheat Halwa
This post is for Priyanka's FestiveFood: Onam Celebration. I'm finally managing to send across my entry for the event. There is so much written about Onam in many blogs that I do not wish to write anything further ;). This is a simple wheat halwa recipe and made with only few ingredients.
Cracked/Broken Wheat/Dahiya - 1 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Ghee/Classified butter - 3-4 tbs
Water - 1 1/2 cup
Cardamom - 3-4
Fry fruits - optional
1. Make powder of sugar and cardamom by grinding them together.
2. In a pan heat ghee, add broken wheat and roast until wheat color changes to golden brown.
3. Once the aroma start coming, add water and mix well. Cook for 2mins.
4. Add the sugar powder and mix well. Mix briskly the halwa and cook for 5-7 mins or until the ghee start floating on top.
5. Yummy halwa is ready, garnish with fry fruits of your choice.
Also checkout Broken Wheat Halwa with Jaggery.