Dosa & Chutney plus awards
When it comes to breakfast or tiffin items the first thing comes to mind is dosa, idli; at least for me ;) So when Aprana announced the WBB:Grains in my breakfast, I knew what am going to send across. Dosa is one of the regular item in most of the South Indian household and being in Chennai we do make dosa some time too. I follow my own set of measurements to prepare the dosa or idli batter so there is not hard n fast role to follow this measurements. But most of the time the battles always make nice and soft dosas and soft idli. The chutney here is a bit different from regular one, over to recipe now:
Ingredients for Chutney:
Coconut - 1/2 cup (chopped)
Roasted Channa Dal - 3tbs
Greenchilli- 7-8 or as spicy required
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tps
Ginger- 1' or one small piece
Garlic - 3 medium size pods
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt - to taste
Sugar - 1/2 tps
Oil - 1tps
Oil - 2 tps
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tps
Curry leaves - few
Urad Dal - 1/2 tps
Dry red chilli - 2
1. In a pan heat oil and add all the ingredients except coconut and fry for 2mins.
2. Off the stove and add the coconut pieces and mix with everything.
3. Grind it with little water to make a fine paste.
4. For tempering heat oil and add all the ingredients and cook until mustard seeds splutters.
5. Pour over the tempering mix into the chutney.
Ingredients for Dosa:
Parboiled or Idli rice - 2 cups
Urad Dal/black gram lentils - 3/4 cup
Fenugreek Seeds/Methi - 1/2 tps
Salt - to taste
Baking soda - 1tps
Oil - to make dosa
1. Wash & soak rice and lentil with fenugreek seeds for 4-5 hours.
2. Grind lentil and rice separately. Mix both the battles together with 1tps of baking soda and let it ferment overnight.
3. Take the desire amount of batter, add salt and water (if required) and mix well.
4. Heat a tawa/griller, pour 1 laddle of batter and spread in circular motion making it as thin as possible.
5. Apply oil in the corner of dosa and cook for 1-2mins or until the edges starts leaving the tawa.
6. Turn over to other side and cook for 1more min.
7. Crispy, nice dosa is ready.
Enjoy the dosa and chutney with ginger pickle.