Hi, hope everyone is celebrating Sankranti/Lohri/Pongal with much joy and fun. Here in Singapore we really don't feel the joy of Pongal though one can get everything as in India. But the fun and fare is still missing. Pongal is also associated with sugarcane in TN and so in Chennai...it use to so much fun during the 4 days of celebration from Bhogi to Maat Pongal...ahh well I really do miss Chennai for all these things. Coming back to reality, I have made Venn Pongal on Pongal...as that's the perfect and simple thing to do. So lets check the recipe....for the benefit of those people whom doesn't know much about this wonderful thing call venn pongal.
Rice - 1 cup
Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
Black pepper - 1 tbs
Cumin seeds/jeera - 1/2 tbs
Ginger - 1' piece
Cashews - 10-15 pieces
Dry red chilli - 5-6 (optional)
Curry leaves - few (optional)
Classified butter /ghee - 3-4 tbs
Salt - to taste
Water - 4-5 cups
1. Pressure cook washed rice and dal with salt and 1/2 tbs black pepper. Add more than double quantity of water and cook for 3-4 whistle.
2. Give a dry run of cumin seeds, remaining black pepper and ginger in mixi, keep it aside.
3. Wait until release of pressure from cooker, mix the cooked rice and dal well.
4. In a pan heat ghee add dry red chilli, cumin,ginger and pepper mixture and cook for 2 mins.
5. Add cashews, curry leaves (if using) and mix until cashews turns light brown.
6. Now add the rice and mix well. Cook for 2-3 mins.
Server hot pongal with chutney or sambar with more ghee, enjoy to fullest...simply yummy pongal.
And this is my entry for Festive Food: Makar Sankranti event hosted by me.