Yam in Yogurt Gravy For His Cooking Event
This is one of treasured recipe prepared during festive season, to be specific 3rd day of Diwali prayers are held for cows in my in-law place. And yes, this dish was introduced to me by hubby. He makes this so perfect; we all are big fan.
I wanted to blog this recipe for long but never manage to take pictures and when this time he got yam and prepared it, I happy took the pics for my reference and include this in Festive Food: His Cooking Event.
Let's go straight to the recipe now.
Serving ~ 4 persons
Yam - 400 gms
Onion - 2 large
Tomato - 2 medium
Green chili - 3
Sour Curd/Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tsp
Red chili powder - 2tsp
Turmeric - 1tsp
Coriander Powder - 1tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Salt - to taste
1. Wash and pressure cook for 2 whistles or boil the yam. Chop the onion, tomato, chili and keep aside.
2. Peel yam skin, chop in medium size and deep or shallow fry the pieces and keep aside. Hubby did shallow frying. [ the fried yum looks so gud isn't it? It taste wonderful with some salt sprinkle over it, try one piece and you can't resists :) ]
3. In the same pan add 2-3 tbs oil and heat. Add bay leaf stir for 30secs, add chopped onion, chili,ginger-garlic paste and saute until golden brown.
4. Add all powder masala, stir well and cook for 2mins. Add chopped tomato and stir.
5. Cover the pan and cook in medium flame until tomato turns soft. Add salt and fried yam, stir gently everything.
6. Beat the curd and add with yam, add 1/2 cup water and mix gently everything.
7. Cook for 2 mins in medium heat or until gravy become thick. Add 2 cup water, stir well and cook until a boil comes.
8. Switch off gas, cover the pan and keep for 10mins. The gravy will become thick, don't let the curry sit for long, yam will absorb all the gravy.
Enjoy the delicious yam curry with rice, he also made bitter gourd stir fry for our lunch.
Enjoy your day.