Pepper Kuzhambu ~ Pepper in Tamarind Gravy from Ratatouille
I like pepper kuzhambu very much but never made, but I always wanted to try it. One day I was just browsing my reader and saw the recipe (Milagu Kuzhambu) in Chitra blog it was simple, I tried it found it was yummy. I did few changes in the recipe like adding ginger and saute the cumin pepper masala, here pepper kuzhambu my way. Thanks Chitra for sharing the recipe :)
This recipe goes to Priya's event Healing Foods-Onion, a event started by Siri. To Padma's Cooking with Seeds-Pepper, started by Priya
Cumin Seeds - 1tbsp
Black Pepper Corns - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek/Methi Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Peal Onion - 6 pieces [ 1/4 Cup chopped]
Tomato - 1 medium [ 1/2 Cup chopped]
Garlic - 2 tbs [chopped ]
Ginger - 1/2 tps [optional]
Curry leaves - 4-5 leaves
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind - 1 small lemon size
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
1. Roast cumin seeds followed by pepper corns in a pan, allow it to cool and grind it to course powder.
2. Soak tamarind in 1 cup water for 15-20mins, extract the tamarind water/juice and keep aside.
3. Chop ginger, garlic, onion and tomato keep aside.
4. In a pan heat oil add mustard seeds and allow it to crack, add fenugreek seeds & curry leaves and saute for 30sec.
5. Add chopped ginger, garlic and saute for a min. Add chopped onion and saute until onion turns light brown.
6. Add chopped tomato and saute for 2mins in medium heat or until it get mash.
7. Add powder turmeric, cumin & pepper masala and saute for 2-3 mins.
8. Add tamarind extract and salt and cook for 7-8 mins in medium flame.
I think mine should have been cooked more to get thick kuzhambu as I liked that way. This is a simple and yummy recipe and sure for me try again. (on the side is yellow pumpkin curry, I shall post later)
Enjoy your day...