This is my first attempt to make Ashok Halwa and I tried it from Premaof Prema's Thaligai recipe. I thought it's a complicated recipe but no, it's quite easy to make and taste delicious. Thanks Prema for sharing the wonderful recipe :)
Moong Dal [Green Gram Dal] - 1/2 cup
Wheat Flour - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup [I used less, you can add 3/4 to 1 Cup or according to taste]
Ghee - 3-4 tbs
Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cashews - 10-15 pieces
Almonds - 4-5 pieces
Food Colour (red) - 1/4 tsp [I used kesari powder]
Water - 1/4 cup
1. Clean, wash and soak moong daal for 2-4 hours.
2. Pressure cook 1/2 cup daal with 1/4 cup water for 3 whistles, keep aside.
3. In a pan or wok heat 2 tsp of ghee and roast wheat flour until light golden brown or nice aroma start coming from flour, transfer it to a bowl/plate and let it cool.
4. Heat 1tsp of ghee in same pan, mash the daal and add in the pan and roast for 10 minutes in slow flames or dal the fully cooked , stir in intervals.
5. Add sugar and mix well. Now add wheat flour and mix everything well.
6. Add the remaining ghee, food colour, cardamom powder and keep stirring until ghee starts oozing out or for 5-8 minutes in slow flame.
7. Once the halwa start leaving pan sides, put off flame and garnish with nuts.
This goes to Nivedita's Celebrate Sweets~Halwa Event and to MLLA#25 hosted Siri and event started by Susan
Also sending Broken Wheat Halwa with Jaggery and Cashew & Banana Halaw to Nivedita.