Now a days Sat'day lunch is khichdi at my place as it's simple, quick and yet filling. I normally do added extra ingredients to make the khichdi interesting and this time I used carrot. This goes PJ's Vegetable Marathon: Carrot and a event started by Silpa of Anita's kitchen and To Siri's MLLA #25, a event start by Susan
Rice - 1/2 cup
Lentil - 1/2 cup [I used Yellow Pigeon Peas, Red Lentil, Bengal gram Lentil]
Carrot - 1
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Green chili - 3-4 [I used red chili]
Dry red chili - 1
Garlic - 1 tsp [chopped]
Oil/Ghee -1 tbs
Asafoetida - a pinch
Cumin - 1tps
Salt - to taste
Water - 3 cups
1. Wash and soak rice and lentils for 15mins to 2 hours. I used tuar, channa and masoor daal in equal quality.
2. Wash, peel and chopped carrot, slit the chili, chop garlic and keep aside.
3. In a pressure cooker add rice, lentils, carrot, chili, turmeric, salt with 2 1/2 cups of water for 4 whistles.
4. Once cooker release pressure, mix the khichdi well add 1/2 or 1 cup water according to your preference and adjust salt if required.
5. Heat oil/ghee in a pan add Asafoetida, cumin seeds once it cracks add dry chili, garlic and saute until garlic turns golden brown.
6. Add the khichdi mix well and cook for 2 mins.
Enjoy the khichdi hot/warm. We had with curd, red chili pickle and pappad.
Enjoy your weekend ....