Dal Tamatar | Tomato Dal Recipe | Dal Recipes
I struggle for some time to get the perfect tomato dal like my sister makes only until once I saw each step how she does and I found out the secret ingredient which makes the dal totally delicious is ghee, yes that's ghee. Ghee and oil makes different in taste so you can choice whatever you like but if you want you dal to be extra delicious then give the tempering or tadka with ghee and be a little generous.
Dal tamatar or tomato dal is one of the favorite dal recipe in our home and this is my sister recipe. There are many ways of making dal and daal tamatar and this is sure one of the easy recipe. My sister makes this so perfect, it just taste delicious. Tomato dal get pair along with roti or rice perfectly and it's wonderful with rasam-rice too. This is one of the easy method of making dal tamtar or tomato dal and very quick too.
I made this dal tomato for a weekend lunch along with besanwali bhindi for a complete wholesome meal you can pair this along with any side dish of your choice and normally something dry or stir fry works well.
You can also try these other dal recipes.
- Beetroot Dal
- Chana Dal Fry
- Chilka Moong Dal Tadka
- Chow Chow Dal
- Gongura Pappu (Dal)
- Hara Moong Dal Fry
- Katte Masoor Dal
- Kheksi | Kantoda Dal
- Matar Ki Dal | Fresh Green Peas Dal
- Palak Moong Dal
- Lauki Tuvar Dal
- Saayi Dal
- Tindora Dal
- Turai Dal
Dal Tamatar | Tomato Dal RecipeMoong dal fried with lots of tomato, spices to make this delicious dal tamatar.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Side Dish||Cuisine:||North Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 1 Cups - Yellow (split) Moong Dal
- 1 Medium - Onion
- 2 Large - Tomatoes
- 3 - Green Chilies
- 4 Large - Garlic Pods
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp - Red Chili Powder
- To Taste - Salt
- 3 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves For Tempering/Tadka
- 2 tbsp - Ghee or Oil
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 tsp - Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 7 to 8 - Curry Leaves
- Wash dal and pressure cook with turmeric powder, 2 cups water for 2 whistles. While dal getting cooked, slice peeled onion, slit green chilies, chop tomato, coriander leaves and mince garlic.
- In a wok or pan heat ghee or oil add asafoetida, cumin seeds allow to splutter. Add green chilies, curry leaves and saute until garlic becomes light brown.
- Add onion and saute until onion becomes soft and light brown, add tomato, red chili powder, mix, cover and cook in medium flame until tomato gets mashed fully, do stir in intervals.
- Add cooked dal and mix well, add 1.5 to 2 cups of water (depends on consistency of dal you like), salt and bring it to boil. Keep flame to slow and simmer for 5 mins, add coriander leaves, mix and off flame.
- You can add chopped tomato while cooking dal too.
- Ghee tempering adds wonderful flavors to dal, but you can do the same with oil too, no issues.
- Same you can do with toor/arhar dal or split pigeon peas.
Delicious dal tamatar goes well with rice or roti.
dal recipe,dal tamatar,tomato dal,moong dal tamatar,tomato moong dal,how to cook tomato dal, easy dal tamatar recipe,simple tomato dal recipe,