Beetroot Daal ~ Lentil Curry with Beets
As said umpteen times I like to make things simple, so here comes a simple Beetroot Daal. I like beets but that's doesn't goes same with DH, he doesn't really like to eat Beetroot Fry. So one day in hurry just added the beets to daal as I had to use the beets before it dies! Much to my surprised he liked the daal so I tried this again and simply love this daal, doesn't it looks pretty :)
Pigeon Peas/ Toor Daal - 1 cup
Beetroot - 1 [ medium]
Onion - 1 [Large]
Tomato - 1 [Medium]
Green Chiles - 3
Cilantro- 2 tbsp [chopped]
Sambar Powder - 2 tsp [ Or Red Chili Powder - 2 tsp]
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp [optional]
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Garlic - 3 pods [big]
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
1. Wash and soak the daal for 1 half or less than that [soaking is optional]
2. Wash, peel and chop beetroot in medium size pieces.
3. Cook beetroot and daal with 1 1/2cup or 2 cups of water for 3-4 whistles or normally how you cook your daal.
4. Meanwhile chop onion, tomato and slit the chilies. Chop or crush the garlic and keep aside.
5. In a pan heat oil add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add garlic,onion and chilies and saute until onion turns light brown.
6. Add sambar and turmeric powders and give a stir, cook for 1 minute.
7. Add tomato, salt and cook until tomato gets mash.
8. Add cooked daal with beets and 1 cup water. Add more salt or water if required and bring it to good boil, add chopped cilantro.
And our pretty looking daal is ready to indulge.
Have a nice day ~~