What do you like to have when you are feeling sick..specially with cold, cough and fever, would you like to share?
I'm in this condition now for 3 days and today being alone at home I'm in no mood to cook or do anything. Then around lunch time I started feeling little hungry, I have to take medicine too so I thought to make broccoli soup ..a plan which I happily kept postponing for almost a week now and also the broccoli was screaming on me to be consumed. I didn't follow any particular recipe, and just added whatever I feel like it but this is my normal way of making any soup ;).
Serve - 4 cups appr.
Broccoli - 1 medium size [mine was around 300gms]
Cabbage - 1/2 Cup chopped [optional]
Ginger-Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp OR Just use 2 garlic pods
Clove - 1
Cardamom - 1
Peppercorns - 5-6 ~ according to taste
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Fresh Grounded Pepper - to taste
Water/Vegetable stock - 3-4 cups
1. Wash and chop broccoli stem and remaining into florets. Chop cabbage.
2. In a pressure cooker heat oil, add clove, cardamom, cabbage and give a good stir.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
~~ I actually wanted to use fresh ginger since I'm having cold but I didn't had any in hand ..
4. Add broccoli stems pieces, florets and sauté again for a minute. Add salt, peppercorns and 1 to 1.5 cups of water. Close the cooker lid and cook for 1 whistle.
~ I used 1cup water.
5. Once the cooker pressure is released & mixture is cooled, blend the cooked broccoli to smooth puree.
6. Heat a sauce pan or the same cooker; add the puree and 2-3 cups of water
~~ Depending on how you like you soup to be..I added 2 cups of water.
7. Simmer the soup for 4-5 minutes or until a nice boil comes. Adjust salt if required.
Garnish with spring onion or carrot. I added finely chopped carrot as it looks good and add good crunchy bites.
Add freshly grounded pepper to taste and serve with bread stick, garlic bread or simple toast is good enough. I had mine with toast dunked into soup and it tasted awesome...
~ You can add onion and potato instead of cabbage.
~ I think adding carrot is good option too.
~ You can cook everything in a pan too but pressure cooker saves time.
Have a good day ~~