Savoury Barley Cookies
More than sweet I like savoury cookies and the fact that it goes well with tea/coffee is only plus point so when I saw Barley Buttermilk Biscuits in Gayathri blog I decided to give a try as I had to open my barley flour packet :). I started my work but only to realize I didn't few things mention in the recipe .:( but then that didn't stop me from trying it and I came up with my own. These is one of those most simple and quick cookie which taste good and spicy, avoid chili powder if you don't like spicy stuff or making for kids. Also these cookies are towards the crunchy side and not soft, if you want soft cookies then add butter :). Thanks to Gayathri for sharing such wonderful recipe.
Barley Flour - 1/2 cup
Wheat Flour - 1/2 cup
All Purpose Flour - 1/4 cup
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garlic Powder - 1/2 tsp [optional]
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp [optional]
Kasoori Methi - 1 tsp
Butter - 2 tbsp [ I used olive oil]
Buttermilk/Milk - 1/3cup
Salt - 1/4 tsp
1. Sieve together all the flours, baking, cumin, garlic, chili powders and salt and preheat the oven to 180C/356F.
2. Meanwhile roast kasoori methi for a mintues and crush with your palms and add in the flour mix.
3. Add butter or oil and mix well until flour becomes crumbles.
4. Add milk and make a soft and smooth dough. Try not to have any cracks, add more milk if required.
5. Roll into thin layer and cut in desire shape with a cookie cutter. You can keep the thickness to 1/4cm, I prefer to have thin cookies.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Keep eye on oven after 15 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack and store in air tight container.
The cookies are real crispy and stays the same for weeks. As said add 1/4 C butter if you wish to have it softer.
Enjoy with tea or coffee, dip or dunk :)