Apple Compote Financiers
Apple Compote Financiers, does the name sounds complicated to you? No? It sure did to me but then when I get to know the recipe I was surprised with it’s simplicity. While I was waiting for other to get ready and browsing few magazines at KL hotel I found this one, got attracted to the beautiful pictures, and gain the knowledge about financiers :) So you see it’s good to read.
The recipe was so simple and attractive that I quickly clicked pictures of the recipe on my phone for my reference. All the spices used here gives very aromatic flavour, while I was clicking the pictures of financiers it was smelling so good that I wanted to eat it right away :D This financiers is also very soft in texture, though I have used a egg here but I guess this is one of perfect recipe to make egg less. Just use apple sauce or apple puree instead of egg and enjoy it, don't let that egg stop you from trying this. I have plans to make this egg less next time too.
I followed the recipe as it is but next time I am going to make few changes, like instead of just adding the compote slice on top of the muffin, I think if we mix 1/4 of compote slices with muffin/financiers batter it's much better as we also get to bite apple in the muffin.
For Apple Compote Slices
Apple - 2 Big [ I used Fuji Apple]
Water - 300ml
Caster Sugar - 2 cups (200gm)
Green Cardamom - 4
Star Anises - 2
Cinnamon Stick - 2' piece
Plain Flour - 1 Cup+ 1tbsp (130gms)
Cinnamon Powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder - 1/4 tsp
Brown Sugar - 1 tbsp (15 grams) [I used dark brown sugar]
Caster Sugar - 2 tbsp (30 grams)
Lemon Zest - 1/4 tsp
Egg - 1
Vegetable Oil - 2 tbsp (30ml) [ I used sunflower oil]
1. Wash, core and thinly slice apples, immerse in water until ready to use it. We don't have to peel apples.
~ You can use slicer or a sharp knife, not sharp enough to hurt yourself :D ...I used knief and did pity decent job, what you say?
2. In a pan or sauce pan add water, sugar, spices, apple slices and bring to boil on high flame.
3. Simmer in low flame until apples slices become tender or for around 20-25 minutes. Drain apple pieces and keep aside to let it cool.
4. Keep simmering the sugar syrup and make it thick, this we can use it as glaze.
5. Meanwhile we can start working on our financiers. Sieve flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and keep aside.
6. In a bowl mix egg, sugar, oil, milk and lemon zest.
7. Fold flour in batches and mix gently, avoid any lumps.
8. Preheat oven to 180C/320F and grease muffin tray or whatever you going to use to bake these.
9. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tray until 3/4 filled. Place the apple slices on top of each muffin in any design you prefer and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean inserted in the middle. Mine was done in 22 minutes so do keep a eye after 20 minutes.
I tried flower design, things to note are:
~ Keep apple skin part on top and working with one slice at a time.
Take a slice of apple, roll it tight to make bud and place in the center of muffin, now start doing the petals by placing one slice at a time around the bug to make it flower.
Another way to do is, you make the flower and then place it on top of the muffin. For this too we have to do the same thing, make a bud and start creating petals by arranging the apple slices around it, while making the flower hold it between your fingers so it won't fall apart. Just be gentle and careful when you place the flower/apple slices on top of the muffin as the batter might overflow so make sure you fill only 3/4 of the tin. If you think you have place less slices then arrange few more.
I found both the way of making flower easy, keep the slices straight on the muffin makes it little messy as we tend to touch batter. And the 2nd style of making the flower and placing may overflow the batter, but in the 2nd method we can get better and clear flower design. So you see the picture the left side 2 flowers are done in hand and then arranged in the tray and the right side one I used 1st method ie arrange the flower on the tray itself.
10. Cool on a wire rack completely before glazing. If you are not glazing then you want increase the sugar in the muffin as it's not very sweet.
~ While unmolding if the muffins doesn't comes out then just use a knife or back of spoon and gently run over the edges as we don't want to scratch the tray or break the muffin. The muffin will be out of tray so it's easy, don't panic like me :)
~ You can make any muffin and top it up with apple compote.
~ Don't let the cooked apple slice stay out for long, it will start to change colour.
~ I kept the plate of cooked apple slice over a bowl of cold water to cool the apple slices and make it easy to handle while arrange it.
~ If you want to make it egg less, replace one egg with 1/4 cup of apple puree or any other fruit puree OR 1/4 cup of apple sauce or even 1/4 cup of whipped tofu.
~ You may add 1/4 of compote slice to the batter then scoop it to tray and top it up with remaining slices.
This last 4-5 days if refrigerated. I'm happy to send this to Lubna's Joy from fasting to feasting IV.
Have a nice day ~~