Poha Kheer | Aval Payasam | Rice Flake Milk Pudding
Hope all celebrating Janmashtami/Krishna Jayanthi had a good day of celebration. In most of the North India it's celebrated today with much fun fare which includes more of playing Dahi Handi, The handi is a clay pot filled with buttermilk that was positioned at a convenient height prior to the event. The topmost person on the human pyramid tries to break the handi by hitting it with a blunt object mostly nariyal (coconut) is preferred being a sign of purity,truth and other good terms in hindu religion. When that happens the buttermilk is spilled over the entire group, symbolizing their achievement through unity and ofcourse they get prize money. It's a wonderful experience to see and in Maharashtra it’s quite famous, you must have seen in old Hindi movies.
In our place it's quite a simple affair my mom use to keep fast the whole day which is broken at midnight or next day after Pooja. Offering to the God is normally Kheer and fruits, and I follow the same. I made Poha Kheer/Aval Payasam in microwave which is easy. I normally make poha kheer in microwave as it's quite fast and perfect to make on a working day :)
Oh you notice the mango? Well it's Mexican mango from Fair Price though quite expensive and nothing like our Indian Mango!
Poha/Aval/Beaten Rice - 1/2 Cup [ I used thin variety]
Milk - 1 Cup
Jaggery Powdered - 1/4 Cup [ I used 2 tbsp]
Ghee/Butter - 1 tsp
Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp
Cashew and Raisins - 5-7 each
Water - 1/4 Cup
1. In a microwave safe large bowl heat ghee and roast cashews for 1 minute or until it's golden brown. It will be done in less than a minute so keep a eye to avoid burning, keep aside. You can roast raisins for 30 seconds too if you prefer and keep aside.
2. In the same bowl add poha/aval and roast for 2 minutes, stir in every 30 seconds. Now add milk and water and microwave for 3 minutes, the poha will be soft by now if not microwave for another minute.
~ Now if you add only milk, poha will absorb it fully. So I add little water along with milk, you will notice that the milk will not be absorb fully now. I do the same while making semiya paysam too, this way I don't end adding milk more than required.
3. Now add cardamom, powdered jaggery and stir it well to mix everything.
4. Microwave for a minute. Here you have to careful and jaggery tends to curdle milk. Let it rest for 1-2 minute and then add the roasted cashews and raisins.
~ If milk gets curdle slightly, add 2-3 tbsp of milk and it should be fine.
For Stove top method
1. In a pan/wok heat ghee, roast cashews and keep aside. Add poha/aval and saute for 2 minutes or until poha becomes crispy.
2. Add boiled milk and cook until poha becomes soft and gets cooked, now add jaggery, cardamom powder and cook for a minute only.
Garnish with cashews, raisins and serve hot.
~ You can use sugar instead of jaggery if you prefer.
Have a nice day ~~