We all love mango pickle don't we? You don't ...hmm that's bad then this post is not for you. And of course everyone has their own way of making pickle. The method I'm posting today is Rajasthani style, a recipe from my sister. Sis prepared and got this pickle from India, I thought of posting this for my own reference as I love this pickle and always wanted to know the recipe. This pickle is tangy, spicy and goes well with roti, paratha, puri, khakra, upma, dal-chawal or just with anything.
Raw Green Mango - 1 kg [ medium size]
Salt - 4 tbsp
Turmeric Powder - 2 tbsp
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder - 8 tbsp
Saffola/Vegetable Oil - 1/2 kg
Black pepper Corn - 10
Cloves - 4
Yellow Broken Mustard Seeds - 4 tbsp
Salt - 4 tbsp
Fennel Seeds/Saunf- 1tbsp
Nigella/Onion Seeds/Kalonji - 1 tbsp
Asafoetida/Hing - 1 tsp
Oil - 3tbsp
Fennel Seeds/Saunf - 2 tbsp
Fenugreek/Methi seeds - 1 tbsp
Here is all the spices we use.
1. Cut the mango in pieces (like 8-10 pieces of each mango), wash and dry in Sun for 30 minutes.
~ The mango pieces should be dry, if not pat dry with cloth.
2. Mix 2 tbsp salt and turmeric with mango pieces and keep side 4 hours.
3. Heat 1/2 kg oil until it's about to boil and keep aside for it cool completely.
4. Grind coarse fennel and fenugreek seeds separately (from the 'for grind' ingredients) and mix with red chili powder, mango pieces and keep aside.
5. Meanwhile in a small pan or wok heat oil and add all tempering ingredients, saute for a minute and pour on mango mixture.
6. Now add cloves, pepper corn, yellow mustard seeds, salt and mix well for all the mango pieces to get coated with spices.
7. Add the heated oil (which should be on room temperature now) to mango, spice mixture stir well and keep it in Sun for a day.
8. Next day put pickle in a sterilized and dry glass bottle or pickle jar and store.
Now the pickle is ready to consume and it stays for a year if kept properly.
~ Always make sure oil floats on top, press down the mango pieces with a dry spoon.
~ Always use clean n dry spoon.
~ It's better to keep small pickle jar separately for daily use to avoid touching the pickles every day.
~ Once in a while place the jar/bottle in Sun.
~ One can tie a muslin cloth on jar/bottle mouth this way the pickle gets air and remains fresh.
~ The red chili powder used in this pickle is important to have that nice red color, make sure you use good quality chili powder.
aam ka achar recipe,how to make aam ka achar,mango pickle recipe,mango pickle north indian style,aam ka achar Rajasthani style,marwari style aam ka achar,