Beets Pesto Braided Bread
This is what I done with my left over beetroot pesto – Braided Bread, perfect for breakfast or evening snack as it’s light compare to stuffed braided bread. If I have leftover pesto I always want to make braided bread, I did same with my leftover spinach pesto but that time I couldn’t take pictures. You can use any stuffing of your choice instead of pesto that’s the beauty of stuffed bread.
For bread recipe I follow almost same as my wheat bread with garlic & herbs recipe cause that’s recipe always works well for me. I wanted to take stepwise pictures which I did but half way it started to rain left me with no light, on a good sunny day I struggle with light then let’s not talk about a dark rainy day ! But then it’s quite easy as most of know how to braid hair It goes so well with a cup of coffee and tea for that quick breakfast (of course provided you made this previous day), don’t you think it’s perfect to venture during May Day’s holiday?
Ingredients: [ Makes 2 medium size loafs]
For Beetroot (Beets) Pesto here recipe here.
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 Cup
Plain Flour – 1 Cup
Garlic Powder – 1 tsp [optional]
Active Dry Yeast – 1 1/2 tsp
Milk – 1/2 Cup
Water – 1/2 Cup
Sugar – 2 tsp
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 tbsp [divided]
Sesame Seeds – 1/2 tsp [optional]
Melted Butter – 2 tsp
1. Heat water and milk until luke warm or microwave for 30 seconds. Add sugar, yeast stir to mix everything well and keep it aside for 10-15mins until it gets frothy. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil in frothy yeast mix and stir well.
2. In a wide bowl add both flours, garlic powder and whisk to mix.
3. Add yeast mixture to flour in small quantity and start kneading. Keep adding yeast as required until it forms smooth dough, it will take 7-8 minutes.
4. Place dough on a clean surface or worktop, add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and knead dough again for 5-7 minutes. Keep the dough back in greased bowl, coat dough well with oil and cover with a damp cloth or cling and keep it side until it double in size for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
5. Knead again for 4-5 minutes to remove all air bubbles and divided dough into two portions.
6. On a slight floured surface roll dough in rectangle with 1cm thickness, keep another piece of dough covered.
7. Dab 3 tbsp of beets pesto in centre of dough (about leaving 1 to 1.5 inch on all sides).
8. Now we have to make braid, using a sharp knife make inclined cuts of about 1inch in both sides making sure we have equal numbers of strips both sides.
9. Fold top and bottom dough part towards pesto and start braiding by folding strips over pesto and lapping alternately [Begin on left, place 1st strip over pesto diagonally, then take right strip and place over pesto diagonally too, repeat same for all strips]
10. Line a baking tray with foil and keep prepared loaf. Repeat step 8 and 9 for another piece of dough.
11. Cover tray with cling and keep aside for 30 minutes for 2nd rise.
12. Preheat oven to 200C and brush both loaf well with butter, sprinkle sesame seeds on top if preferred.
13. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, keep a eye after 20 minutes. Remove tray from oven and brush loaf again with butter. Cool loaf on wire rack.
Enjoy with a cuppa.
~ You can use 2 cups of plain flour instead of adding wheat flour.
~ Your yeast should be fresh, if it didn’t frothy then repeat same step.
~ Pesto filling quantity can be more or less.
~ Try same with basil or spinach pesto
~ Instead of butter, you can brush loaf with milk or eggwash.
~ Bread stays good to 3 days if refrigerated. Mine was finished by next day.
Have a nice day.