Beans Thoran | Poriyal | Onam Sadhya Recipes
This beans thoran was not made by me but by my ex-colleague for Onam Sadhya lunch, I just happily took the pictures, oh ya I did chop the beans though. I make beans poriyal same way too except ginger and add carrot most of times. It makes a tasty side dish for rasam rice than anything, a perfect comfort food and I like this with rasam rice too. A simple yet satisfying stir fry for any day. If you want something different then here is my carrot and broccoli thoran.
Beans - 2 cup [chopped]
Shallots – 4-5 [chopped]
Green chillies – 4 [chopped]
Minced Ginger – 1 tsp ( optional)
Dry Red Chilli - 1
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Grated Coconut – 1/4 Cup
Oil – 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Water – 2-3 tbsp
1. Heat oil in a pan add cumin, mustards seeds and allow to sputter, add urad dal, curry leaves sauté until golden brown.
2. Add dry red chilli, shallots, ginger, beans, turmeric, salt and green chilli, stir well.
3. Sprinkle 2-3 tbsp water and cover the beans, cover and cook in medium flame for 5-7 minutes, stir in 2-3 times in between.
4. Add grated coconut and stir well. Cover and cook again for 5 minutes (stirring in intervals) or until beans gets cooked fully.
Serve warm with Onam Sadya or Rice, sambar, rasam.
1. Add 1 cup of grated carrot if you wish, add it in step 2 along with beans.
2. Skip ginger if you don’t like.
3. Stir in regular interval while cooking to avoid beans from burning.
4. You can make this without coconut too, it still taste great.
5. For authentic Kerala style thoran, use coconut oil.
Have a nice day ~~