Mughlai Mutton Masala | Eid Recipes
One of famous Eid recipes is mutton biryani or mutton masala/curry. Remember my Keema Matar that DH made, this time I tried my hands on mutton and made the famous Hyderabadi mughlai ghost/mutton curry. It was smooth, creamy and delicious with mutton cooked to perfection with yoghurt and spices in true mughlai style. Don’t let the long list of ingredients let scare you it’s just add the normal spices & freshly grounded spices adds zing to this recipe. This goes well with naan, paratha, jeera rice, peas pulav, vegetable biryani or with plain steamed rice. If you look for some delicious, rich mutton recipe then try this.
Mutton – 500gms
Onion – 2 [large]
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Yogurt/curd – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Cilantro – 1 tbsp [chopped]
Mint Leaves – 1 tbsp [chopped]
Salt – to taste
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Oil – 3 tbsp
Cashew Nut - 8-10 [broken]
Onion – 3 (large)
Green Chillies – 2
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
Cilantro & Mint leaves – 4 tbsp [chopped]
Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Green Cardamom – 2
Black Cardamom – 1
Black Pepper Corns – 5
Cloves – 1
Cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch pieces
Dry Red Chilli – 2
1. Grind all the ingredients with little or no water listed under ‘to grind’ and keep aside.
2. Wash & cut mutton into medium size cubes.
3. Heat ghee in a pressure pan and fry the mutton pieces for few minutes or until they are slightly browned. Remove and keep aside. Fry cashews until golden brown and keep aside too.
4. In the same pan, heat oil and fry the sliced onions until golden brown.
5. Now add the ground masala and sauté for 2-3 minutes, add fried mutton pieces, turmeric powder and salt.
6. Fry over slow flame until the oil separates around 7-8 minutes. Add 1 cup water, mix everything well and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
7. Allow cooker to cool, when the steam releases completely open cooker and keep on gas flame again. Now add beaten yogurt 1 tbsp at a time and and mix well to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes in slow to medium flame until desired consistency is reached. Garnish with chopped mint, cilantro and cashews.
~ If you wish you can add water and curd together and pressure cook for 3 whistles instead of doing it in 2 steps.
~ You can add or reduce green and red chillies to your taste but normally mutton recipes are on spicy side.
~ If you don’t want to use ghee replace it with oil.
Have a nice day ~~