Pineapple Tofu Manchurian | Indo Chinese Recipes
Well it’s not really a Indo Chinese recipe but I am making one here so bare with me though I can assure you the result is awesome. If you like Manchurian and feel guilty of eating fried version then this is for you. There are multi benefits of this recipe like it’s easy, quick, guilt free, tasty and can be made in jiffy isn’t it wonderful? I was having batch after batch of large, fresh, juicy pineapple giving me chance to try few new things one of which was my pineapple fried rice. After pineapple fried rice and this manchurian, tried few juices and shakes, hopefully can post those soon too. Coming back to this recipe; fresh, juicy pineapple with sweet & sour sauce along with hint of spicy Chile-garlic sauce give this Manchurian a kick. This goes well with any fried rice or noodles or with just plain steamed rice. I used fresh pineapple, you can used canned ones too.
Pineapple Chunks – 3/4 Cup
Firm Tofu – 1
Capsicum - 1
Oil – 2 tbsp
Minced Garlic – 1 tbsp
Minced Ginger – 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds – 1 tbsp [optional]
Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
Tomato Ketchup – 1 tbsp
Brown Sugar – 1 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tbsp
Cornstarch – 2 tsp
Pineapple Juice – 1/4 cup
Chilli-Garlic Sauce – 2 tsp [optional]
1. Whisk together pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, chilli-garlic sauce, sugar & corn starch in a small bowl until smooth.
2. Cut capsicum in long strips and tofu into 1/2” pieces. Marinate tofu for 10 minutes with 1/2 of prepared sauce. Keep side remaining sauce.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan and sauté tofu for 2-3 minutes on both side or until golden brown, keep aside.
4. Add the remaining oil to pan, add garlic, ginger and cook until fragrant for about 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until just tender for 2 to 3 minutes. Add reserved sauce and cook until thickened, about 1-2 minutes in medium to slow heat.
~ Add 2-3 tbsp water if sauce becomes very thick.
5. Add the tofu and pineapple and stir gently. Simmer for 2 minutes, garnish with sesame seeds (if using).
1. You can use different colors capsicum.
2. If having leftover tofu, place in a container cover with water & keep in refrigerator. You can keep it for 4-5 days with changing water every day.
3. If you wish you can reduce pineapple to 1/2 cup.
4. If required only add salt as we are using soya sauce normally salt is not required.
5. Instead of chilli-garlic you can use any hot spicy sauce.
Have a nice day ~~