Tricolor Cupcakes with Cream Frosting| Independence Day Recipes
Quick, easy and colorful cupcakes for Independence Day, sound wonderful? I wanted to do something special and decided to make cupcakes as today is DH birthday, also new addition in family his nephew birthday now on 15th August. So it’s triple celebration today and thus tri color cupcakes perfectly fits the bill. These cupcakes not only pretty but also very easy to prepare, just whisk the batter, add color and bake it, it doesn’t get easier than this.
For any occasion or party you can add different colors of your choice. Try this and you are going to love it. Before going to recipe, Happy Independence Day peeps & Happy Birthday Tanish.
Ingredients: [Yields 6 Cupcakes]
Milk – 1/4 Cup
Butter – 1/4 Cup [ melted and cooled ]
Egg – 1
Sugar – 1/2 Cup
Vanilla Extract –1 /2 tsp
Plain Flour – 3/4 Cup
Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Pandan Flavor - 1 tsp [optional]
Green Food Color - 2 tsp
Orange Food Color - 1 tsp
Whipping Cream - 1/2 Cup
Icing Sugar - 1/2 Cup
Orange & Green Food Color - 2 drop each [optional]
1. Preheat oven to 180C, line a muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract, sugar, until smooth. [I didn't melted butter before using!]
3. In a another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add with wet ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth.
4.Take two small bowls and divide batter equally.
5. In one bowl add orange food color and mix well to incorporate.
6. In another bowl mix pandan flavor (if using) & green food color and mix well too. So we have now white, green and orange color batter.
7. Divide green batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Now divide white batter evenly into muffin cups, centering it on top of green batter (do not smooth it). Divide remaining orange batter evenly over white batter.
8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cupcake comes out clean.
9. Cool for 5 minutes before removing cupcakes from pan. Now cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack before frosting.
1. In a bowl beat icing sugar and whipping cream till stiff peaks. Fill in it piping bags and do desire design.
2. Or to add light hint of colors, add desire tip (I used star tip) on piping bag and keep the piping bag in a tall glass.
3. Use a paint brush or wooden skewer to paint stripes of color on inside of bag, starting at tip until 3/4 of bag. I did very thin line you can make it thick/wide if you wish.
4. Fill whipped cream, twist top of bag to close it and squeeze icing out of until you start seeing color.
5. Decorate the cupcakes as you wish. Below is few example I did.
Decorate with sprinkles if desire.
~ For eggless version
1. You can replace one egg with 1/4 cup of whipped tofu OR
2. Add 1 mashed banana, it also adds nice flavor to cupcakes.
~ I added pandan flavor, you can skip it and let be just vanilla cupcakes.
~ Skip the colors and make it as plain vanilla or pandan cupcakes.
~ Since these cupcakes are quite colorful, in frosting I added bare minimal of color. If you making it vanilla cupcake then add wide strips of colors, it makes frosting looks beautiful.
~ One more time will say it, do not smooth batter while filling cupcake liners.
~ You will not get frosting in same quantity as you see in step-wise picture, that frosting I did for another cake so the quantity is very high.
Have a nice day ~~