Kutchi Dabeli | Chaat Recipes
If you like chaat then Dabeli is no exception though not popular in South India, Dabeli is one of best chaat recipe. All the chutneys, potato filling, pomegranate and peanuts makes it sweet, tangy, spicy and crunchy, a very filling sandwich. Originated from Kutch region of Gujarat and that’s why it’s called Kutchi Dabeli. Dabeli means pressed or in hindi dabana is pressing, so its basically do the filling, press and eat :)
Dabeli was introduced to me by DH and in his place there are some very good Dabeli road side vendors. I made this time dabeli everything from scratch, that is including the pav, sev, dabeli masala etc, you can get ready made stuff too. If you want to make dabeli from scratch my advice is make pav a day or two before, keep all the chutney, dabeli masala ready too by previous day. On the day make potato filling, do the assembly and enjoy this delicious chaat, otherwise you might end up doing so many things that, it will be tiring. Have these as breakfast, evening snack or dinner the choice is yours but whenever you going to eat this you are going to enjoy. It’s makes a great party or potluck recipe, as I said just do the prep work before. Though word of caution is you can’t stop at one, so be prepared for it. So here is my version of Dabeli for you.
Oil – 1 tbsp
Potatoes – 4 Large
Onion – 1 medium
Dabeli Masala - 1 tbsp [Click on link for recipe]
Sugar – 1 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
Salt – To Taste
Ladi Pav/Burger Buns – 6-8 [Click on link for recipe]
Butter – For Spreading [ I didn’t use]
Green (mint) Chutney – 1/2 Cup [Click on link for recipe]
Garlic Chutney – 1/2 Cup [Click on link for recipe]
Sweet Chutney – 1/4 Cup [Click on link for recipe]
Finely Chopped Onion – 1 Cup
Pomegranate Seeds – 1 Cup
Sev – 1 Cup [Click on link for recipe]
Spicy Roasted Peanuts – 1/2 Cup [ I used plain ones]
Chopped Cilantro – 1/4 Cup [ I didn’t use]
1. Boil, peel and mash potatoes, finely chop onion. In a pan heat oil add onion and saute until translucent.
2. Add Dabeli Masala and mix well. Add sugar and cook for a minute.
3. Add mashed potato and mix everything well, cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add salt, lemon juice and mix. Cook for another minute and off flame.
Our filling is ready, transfer it into a plate and spread evenly. Gather all other ingredients for assembly.
1. Sprinkle little chopped onion, pomegranate seeds, peanuts, sev and cilantro (if using) over potato filling.
2. Heat a griddle or tava, cut pav in centre apply butter, place butter side on pan and cook until golden brown. Repeat same for rest. [ I didn’t do this]
3. Spread 1tsp or as required mint and garlic chutney on one side of pav and sweet chutney on other. Place 1-2 tbsp of prepare dabeli potato filling or you can make small round of filling, pat it and then keep it.
4. Sprinkle little of pomegranate seeds, onion, sev, peanuts and cilantro (if using). Repeat same for rest.
Serve immediately and enjoy these delicious Dabeli.
You can also make it as open sandwich for that use any bread or baguette. Apply all chutney, keep filling and sprinkle rest of ingredients.
~ Spread all chutney according to your taste. I use more of spicy garlic chutney and less of sweet chutney.
~ Same goes for pomegranate , onion and sev too.
Have a nice day ~~