Lauki Kheer | Dudhi Kheer Recipe
Wishing everyone Happy Dussehra. I wanted to post something sweet on this special day but cooking in morning and posting the same day is not my cup of day. So using this kheer recipe which was suppose to be part of my Navratri Vrat Recipes. Bottle gourd/Lauki/Doodhi is a wonderful vegetable, we can make sabji, dal, kofta, halwa, kheer and so many other things from it.
Lauki Ki Kheer is widely made during fasting and also on festivals. It’s very easy to prepare with minimal ingredients and taste delicious. Before I start to peel and grate bottle gourd I keep milk to boil and let it simmer until I needed it in kheer, it helped me to save time later while cooking kheer as it was done fast and made thick creamy kheer. Try this one time and you will fall in love with this delicious kheer.
Milk – 1 Liter/5 Cups [I used full cream]
Lauki/Bottle gourd – 500gms [Around 3 cups grated]
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 1/2 Cup
Cashews – 8-10
Almonds – 5-6
Raisins – 15-20
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
1. Keep milk for boiling, after it boils slow flame to medium and let it simmer to reduce milk to 3/4 or until we need it to use.
2. Wash, peel and remove seeds from bottle gourd and grate it.
3. Squeeze grated bottle gourd/lauki to remove water. Don’t discard the water but use it in your dal or to make roti dough.
4. In a pan heat ghee add bottle gourd and sauté until light golden brown for around 5-6 minutes.
5. Now add boiled milk and mix well. Milk will start to boil again, add dry fruits and cook in medium to slow flame and simmer it for 8-10 minutes. In regular interval keep stirring the kheer.
6. Add sugar, cardamom powder and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. To check if kheer is done if you drop kheer both milk and bottle gourd should go down together then your kheer is done, if you have bottle gourd stick to your ladle means it’s not done yet, cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Serve it warm or cold with dry fruits garnish. I like it cold and chilly.
~ You can add 1/2 cup condense milk to make kheer creamy, in this case reduce sugar. And you don’t have to simmer milk for long.
~ You can also add khoya if you wish to make the kheer very rich.
Have a nice day ~~