Soya Chunks Biryani
Soya Chunks or Meal maker biryani is easy one pot meal, pair it with any raita and it becomes a wonderful meal or lunch box recipe. I like to do this in easy way of making in pressure cooker as it saves time, perfect for weekend lunch or a busy weekday lunch or dinner. Soya not only add protein in our diet but it also good change from usual vegetable briyani. If you prefer you can also add few vegetables along with soya chunks to make this biryani more colorful and nutritious.
I used small soya nuggets then the usual big ones, you can use which ever variety you have with you. Below pictures shows you both variety of soya. Soya nuggets has excellent source of protein, Omega-3, vitamin B making it healthy and tasteful option. Try this simple biryani and you sure going to love it.
Basmati Rice – 1 1/2 Cup
Soya Chunks – 1 Cup
Oil – 3 tbsp
Bay Leaf - 1
Cinnamon – 1” pieces
Cloves – 2
Green Cardamom – 2
Star Anise – 1
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1 [large]
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Biryani Masala – 1/2 tbsp [or garam msala]
Choppped Mint Leaves – 3-4 stalks
Salt – to taste
Coconut Milk – 1/2 Cup
Water – 2 Cup
Ginger – 1” pieces
Garlic – 4 pods [ 8-10 if using small garlic pods]
Green Chilies - 5
Mint Leaves – 1/4 Cup
1. Soak basmati rice for 1/2 hour to 1 hour, wash, drain and keep aside.
2. Wash and microwave soya chunks with little water, salt for 4 minutes or boil in water at stove top. Rinse, squeeze and keep the chunks aside.
3. Grind all the ingredients under ‘To Grind’ into smooth paste. Slice onion.
4. Heat oil in pressure cooker, add bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, cumin & fennel seeds and sauté for a minute. Add sliced onion and sauté until light brown.
5. Add grounded paste and fry until raw smells goes or until 2-3 minutes. Add chilli, turmeric powders and fry for a minute.
6. Add soya chunks, mix well and fry for 2 minutes
7. Add rice, gently mix and sauté for 2 minutes.
8. Now add coconut milk, water, salt, biryani masala, mint leaves and mix everything well. Close cooker lid and pressure cook for 1 whistles, low flame to slow and cook for 10 minutes. After pressure released fluff rice until with fork.
Serve hot with raita of your choice.
~ You can skip coconut milk and use only water.
~ Water quantity depends on quality of your rice, so add as you normally do.
~ You can add vegetables with soya nuggets.
Have a nice day ~~