As I mention in my broken wheat pongal post I am working on reader request for healthy recipes so one more on the series is this broken wheat upma and guess what it's Oil Free. Don't worry you will not miss oil a bit, it very filling and taste delicious. Along with cracked wheat goodness we have lots of vegetables and also moong dal to increase our humble upma's nutrition value.
The recipes seems long cause I tried to take each step picture but it's actually quite a easy recipe to treasure. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner or lunch box, the choice is yours. For all the weight watchers I guess you going to love this one. Did I mention this upma doesn't get sticky even without oil? So let's not waste any more time and check out the recipe.
Ingredients for Broken Wheat Upma [Serves 3-4]Broken Wheat - 1 Cup
Onion - 1
Tomato - 1
Green Chilli - 3
Minced Ginger - 1 tsp
Grated Carrot - 1 cup
Chopped beans - 1/2 cup
Chopped capsicum - 1/4 cup
Peanuts - 1tbsp
Urad & Channa Dal - 1 tbsp
Yellow Moong Dal - 1/4 cup
Curry Leaves - few
Coriander Leaves - 2 tbsp
Water - 4 cups
Salt - to taste
1. Slice onion, chill and dice tomato.
2. In a pan roast wheat until light brown and aromatic.
3. Now roast moong dal until light brown and keep aside.
4. Roast peanuts and keep aside, you can remove peanut skin if wish.
5. In same pan add channa & uard dal and roast until light brown, add onion, green chilli, ginger.
6. And saute until onion becomes soft around 2 minutes in medium flame. Add beans and saute for 2 minutes.
7. Add tomato, capsicum mix well, cover pan & cook until tomato gets mashed.
8. Now add grated carrot, peanuts, roasted moong dal, curry leaves ( I didn't use curry leaves) and mix well.
9. Add roasted cracked wheat and stir well.
10. Add 4 cups of water, salt, bring it to boil.
11. Cover and cook for 20 minutes in medium flame or until wheat is cooked well.
~ You may cook little less or more than 20 minutes depending on your flame level, so keep a eye after 15 minutes.
12. Off flame, Add cilantro & stir to mix everything. Cover pan again and leave it for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve warm with with curd, any chutney or curry, I had it with curd and peanut chutney.
Have a nice day ~~