Chow Chow Dal Recipe
If you are in hurry or want something different then you should try this recipe, also it doesn't really require any side dish. Have it with roti or rice with papad and a little ghee always helps to enhance taste.
Also you can check out my Chow Chow Chutney.
Chow Chow Dal RecipeAuthor: Priti | Category: Main Course - Dal | Cuisine: South Indian
Prep Time: Cook Time: Total Time:
Chow Chow/Chayote – 1 [around 300gms]
Thoor Dal/Pigeon Pea – 1 Cup
Oil/Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds/Jeera – 1 tsp
Minced Garlic – 1/2 tbsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Green Chilies – 4
Tomato – 1 [large]
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Seeds Powder - 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
Water – 2-3 Cups
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp [chopped]
1. Wash, peel, de-seed and chop chow chow in medium size pieces. Slice green chilies and chop tomatoes.
2. Rinse toor dal, add chopped chow chow, water, turmeric powder and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
3. In a pan or wok heat oil/ghee add cumin seeds/jeera and allow to splutter, add minced garlic, green chilies, curry leaves and sauté until golden brown.
4. Add tomato and cook until it gets mash.
5. Add red chili and coriander seeds powders, mix well, cook for a minute.
6. Add cooked dal along with chow chow.
7. Add salt, water mix well and bring it to boil, off flame and add cilantro.
Add little ghee on top if preferred and serve warm.