Dried Peas Masala Recipe
I always make Ragda Patties of my full dried peas stock, there's no other better way to use dry peas for me and ragda patties is family favorite that's helps more to prepare that. One in a blue moon I try to do other things with dried peas and this curry is one such recipe. Usual like any other curry with onion and tomato base with flavorful roasted spices takes this curry to new levels. This goes well with roti/paratha or steamed rice. We had it with steamed rice, those days I don't feel like cooking dal such recipes comes to my rescue, hope you like this easy peas curry too.
Ingredients for Dried Peas Masala [ Serves - 4-5]Dried Peas - 1 Cup
Onion - 2 Large
Tomato - 2 Large
Green Chilli - 2
Oil - 1 tbsp
Asafetida/Hing - A Pinch
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1/2 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander Seeds Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - To Taste
To Roast & Grind
Cumin Seeds/Jeera - 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds/Sanuf - 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds - 1 tsp
Peppercorn - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds/Methi - 1/4 tsp
1. Wash and soak dried peas over night, rinse 3-4 times in water and pressure cook with water and salt for 3 whilstles.
2. Finely chop onion, tomato and chilli.
3. Roast all the ingredients under "To Roast & Grind" until light brown for about a minute and grind into powder, keep aside.
4. In a wok heat oil add hing, onion, chilli, ginger-garlic paste and saute until onion becomes soft.
5. Add red chillli, turmeric and coriander powders, saute for a minute.
6. Add chopped tomato, stir and cook with lid until tomato gets mash. Add powder masala and saute for a minute.
6. Add boiled peas along with water & salt. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until oil starts to separate.
Serve warm with roti or rice.
~ I didn't add any extra water, just used boiled peas water.
~ You can add less water.
~ Add potato along if wished.
~ Add little coconut paste if you like gravy to be on thicker side.
~ You can add little tamarind water if preferred to have it South Indian Style
Have a nice day ~~