Andhra Chicken Pickle Recipe
Chicken pickle is popular Andhra pickle recipe along with mutton, prawn pickles etc. I didn't use to eat chicken pickle for long time but recently I tried and love it. It's good change from usual chicken curry or any other chicken recipes. I don't know why it never occurred to me to post this pickle recipe or even prawn pickle for matter though I have ample of access to these yummy pickles.
When my colleagues gave me chicken pickle to try which came all the way from India I thought of sharing this wonderful recipe with you all. Like all recipe chicken pickle is also prepared in each household on their own way and this is my colleagues's wife recipe. I asked my colleague to get me the recipe from his wife and thankfully he did and wrote down the whole recipe with proper measurements for me. Try this Andhra special and authentic chicken pickle and you will love this too. Though note of caution is consume is early other wise pickle will start to smell.
Andhra Chicken PickleAuthor: Priti
Cuisine: South Indian - Andhra
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Total time: 45 Minutes
Chicken Pieces (with bones) - 1 kg
Salt - 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tbsp
Oil - 1/4 kg
Red Chilli Powder - 3 tbsp
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 2 tbsp
Chopped Cilantro - 1/4 Cup [optional]
Asafoetida/Hing - 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies - 3
Curry Leaves- Few
To Roast and Grind
Coriander Seeds - 3 tbsp
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon Stick - 2 (2 inch pieces)
Poppy Seeds - 1 tbsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1 tsp
Green Cardamom - 2
Cumin Seeds - 1 tbsp
1. Dry roast all the ingredients under 'To Roast and Grind' cool and grind to fine powder.
2. Mix salt and turmeric powder with chicken pieces well. In a pan or wok add chicken pieces and cook for 10-12 minutes in slow to medium flame, stir in intervals. With chicken water itself it get cooked so we don't have to add water.
3. In a another pan or wok heat oil and add 1/4 of cooked chicken pieces and fry well until fully cooked and brown. Take out and add next batch of chicken and repeat same until we fry 1kg of chicken so we will fry it 4 batches.
4. In the same pan add items 'To Temper' and allow mustard to splutter. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute until raw smell goes off.
5. Now add fried chicken pieces, red chilli powder mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add spices powder we prepared on step 1, mix and cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add chopped cilantro if using and off flame.
- Shelf life of this pickle is less so it's better if you consume with in 2-3 days.
- This pickle is little on spicy side, reduce chilli powder if you don't eat spicy food.