Saayi Dal | Sindhi Chilka Moong Dal
Dal is staple food in our life I make dal almost everyday so I keep trying different variety and method of dal mostly to keep myself entertain as I get bored of routine very fast. I have already blogged hara moong dal tadka recipe and chilka mung dal fry recipe too and this dal is similar to chilka moong dal fry but then this is a Sindhi recipe of mung dal, this dal has very simple flavor of cumin, garlic and it's also very light and mild to eat, for a spicy and little on heavy side of dal check the hara mung dal recipe.Having dal with skin is better than skinless dal (lentil) like I said in my masoor dal post it always more nutritious and filling. You can use the same method and try any other dal too but don't try this with green gram or hari mung (moong) dal as I find it the dal very bland and it doesn't bring all the goodness of hara dal but perhaps you might like it. So this saayi dal I made for one Saturday lunch along with lal bhaji saag and some simple salad for a satisfying meal. Let's just check out recipe now...
You can also check Sindhi Kadhi recipe.
Saayi Dal | Sindhi style Split Green Bean (Mung) DalAuthor: Priti
Category: Main Course
Cusine: Sindhi - Indian
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Total time: 35 Minutes
Split Green Gram/Chilka Moong Dal - 1 Cup
Tomatoes - 2
Green Chillies - 3-4
Fresh Minced Ginger - 1/2 tps
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - To Taste
Coriander Leaves/Hara Dhaniya - 1 tbsp [chopped]
Oil/Ghee - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Minced Garlic - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - Few
1. Soak washed moong dal for 10 minutes, if we soak for longer time dal skin will come out.
2. Wash and chop tomato, slit green chilies, minced ginger and garlic, chop coriander leaves and keep aside.
3. Pressure cook dal for 3 whistles with tomatoes, chilies, ginger, turmeric powder and little water just covering dal.
4. Once pressure released mash dal slightly.
5. In a pan or wok heat oil add cumin seeds, garlic, curry leaves and let cumin splutter and garlic to turn golden brown.
6. Add mashed dal, salt and 1-2 cups of water (depends on the consistency you like your dal to be).
7. Bring it to a good boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and off flame
Serve with steam rice and any side dish (sabzi) of your choice.
Have a nice day.