Vegetables Oats Upma | Oats Recipes
This oats vegetable upma is one of my favorite oats recipe, if you don't like to eat oats or other don't like to have dull and plain food then you will sure love this one. All the vegetables and cashew nut add good crunch to upma and chilli brings the spiciness. I normally add little of turmeric powder in my oats upma to make it look more appealing, you can skip the turmeric if you wish it's just my personal choice.
Important point to note with oats is roast it so it doesn't get mashed while cooking and that's the reason even after adding 2 cups of water upma was not mashed and I used quicker oats you can adjust the water to suit your needs increase you find 2 cups not working for you.
Vegetables Oats Upma RecipeAuthor: Priti | Category: Breakfast
Cuisine: South Indian | Serves: 2
Prep Time: 5 Mins | Cook Time: Total Time: 20 Mins
Quick Cooking Oats - 1 Cup heaped
Onion - 1 medium or 1/2 cup chopped
Green Chilli - 2
Carrot - 1 medium or 3/4 cup chopped
Capsicum - 1 small or 3/4 cup chopped
Minced Ginger - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp [optional]
Salt - To Taste
Water - 2 Cups
Chopped Coriander Leaves - 2 tbsp
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp [optional]
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Cashew-nuts - 8-10
Curry Leaves - 8-10 [I didn't use]
1. Peel and chop onion and finely chop carrot. Chop capsicum, green chilies, coriander leaves and keep aside.
2. In a pan roast oats for 2-3 minutes or until it start to be aromatic, take care not to burn it, keep aside.
3. In the same pan heat oil and add all the ingredients listed under 'For Tadka/Tempering' and saute until chana dal and cashews becomes golden brown.
4. Add onion, green chilli, ginger and saute until onion becomes soft around 2 minutes, carrot and saute for another 2 minutes.
5. Add turmeric powder, peas and give a good stir, cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add capsicum and cook for a minute. Now add 2 cups of water, salt and bring it to good boil, add roasted oats.
7. Mix well, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and oats gets cooked.
8. Add coriander leaves, lemon juice (if using) stir and off flame. Cover the pan and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve hot with curd, pickle or any chutney of your choice. But this upma has all the taste so we doesn't require any side dish as such.
- Roast oats to avoid it from getting mashed.
- You can add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water too for me 2 cups of water always works and upma doesn't gets mashed.
- You can add any other vegetables of your choice like beans, tomato, cauliflower, cabbage etc.
- You can skip the vegetables and just make it as plain upma too.
- I like to add cashews in my upma you can skip it or replace it with peanuts.
Have a nice day..