Sooji Gujiya | Gujiya (Karanji) Recipe | Diwali Sweets Recipes
Gujiya, Karanji, Karjikai, Kajjkayalu etc is same name for Gujiya, Diwali, holi must have sweet in our home is gujiya. Gujiya, namak para, sev is tradition in my parents home for every Diwali/Deepavali and Holi. As I am posting Diwali sweets and snacks recipes now here comes another personal favorite for Diwali Sooji Gujiya, though there is khoya/mawa in this gujiya but still sooji is more so I call it sooji gujiya.
We all love gujiya after all who can say no to these delicious sweet. For Diwali means gujiya in our home made with patience and love it's a fruit of labor if you are new to making gujiya, once you get hang of it then it's pieces of cake. So do not think making gujiya is complicated it's just take little time that's all but to eat the yummy gujiya or karanji trust me it's worth it.
Gujiya making is an art by self specially if we can sealing the edges by hand, my mom never used mould or fork to seal edges she used to do it with hands/finger in such perfect design, I don't get that yet. But never mind we can use mould or fork to make gujiya too it's still taste great. If I talk about gujiya I have lot of stories associated with it.
In my home or at in-laws places all this sweets are made in large quantity or say bulk when my mom use to make all alone she will do it for 1kg or 2kg of maida and we (me and my sis) use to trouble her that we will do the filling, sealing and frying job which she would ofcourse can't give to us, very smartly my mom used to tell us to arrange neatly in rows prepared gujiya, namak para, mathi before frying and we will so busy arrange all this things over newspaper, running from one side to another to make space we used to forget that we actually wanted to do other task in this gujiya making :)
In this batch too my and my mil did for 1kg of maida and after rolling so much my hands starts to real pain and after that I had to fry so much of gujiya but then that's the diwali fun isn't it? You can see in below picture how nice flakey outer layer is. I have included quite a lot of step by step pictures but that's to give you better idea and understanding to make gujiya process easy so bare with it :)/
Make some gujiya may a small batch as I given the recipe or even you can halve it and enjoy the festive to fullest.
You can check other Diwali Recipes
- Diwali Sweets Recipes Collection Here
- Diwali Snacks Savory Collection Here
- 12 Vegan Diwali Sweets and Snacks Recipes
- Diwali (Party) Dinner/lunch Menu Ideas
- DIY: Home made Decroative Diyas Ideas
- DIY: Diwali Home Decoration Ideas
- Kitchen Basics - Masala, Paste Recipes
Sooji Gujiya | Karanji RecipeGujiya is popular North Indian Sweet for Diwali, Holi or any festival.
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- For Outer Layer
- 2 Cups - Plain Flour/Maida
- 4 tbsp - Ghee or Oil
- Oil - To Deep Fry
- 2 Cups - Sooji/Semolina
- 3/4 Cup - Mawa/Khoya (optional)
- 2 Cups - Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp - Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 Cup - Grated Dry Coconut/Khopra
- 2 tbsp - Raisins
- 4 tbsp - Chopped Cashewnuts
- 2 tbsp - Poppy Seeds
- For outer layer, in a wide bowl take flour, 4 tbsp oil and mix well, add water in small quantity and make stiff dough same like we make for poori, cover with a damp cloth and keep aside until required.
- In a wok or kadai add khoya/mawa and cook in slow flame for 2-3 minutes or until it's melts, loosen up, off flame, keep aside.
- Dry roast sooji/rawa until light brown and aromatic, keep stirring so it doesn't get burnt. Powder sugar with cardamom seeds.
- In a large bowl add roasted sooji/rava, cashew-nuts, raisins, poppy seeds (I didn't used), dry grated coconut (khopra), powdered sugar and mix well.
- Add khoya/mawa and mix well with hands to combine khoya with sooji well. If you are not using khoya skip this step.
- Knead dough again for 4-5 minutes to make it soft and make big gooseberry size balls with dough, roll into thin roti/chapathi of 5' diameter or size depends on the size of your gujiya/karanji mold. The dough has oil or mooyan as we call enough so I didn't applied oil or flour for rolling but if you need apply drops of oil or slightly dust with flour to roll dough and don't worry about the same of roti/chapathi.
- Grease gujiya or karanji mould with oil slightly and place rolled chapathi on top of it. Place 1 tbsp of filling on one side of partition.
- Bring another partition together and close it. Press the edges to seal gujiya well and remove excess roti portion from mould and keep it with rest of dough.
- Press again to make sure gujiya/karanji is sealed well, gently open mould and take out gujiya. Repeat same for rest of dough and prepare gujiya.
~ If you don't have mould then roll roti and use a circle cutter or bowl to cut roti into round shape. Place filling and close gujiya forming half moon shape, press edges with a fork to seal and make impression or with hand pinch edges and seal it.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying and drop 3-4 gujiya at time and fry in medium to slow flame until both sides golden brown, do turn 2-3 times gujiya to cook it well both sides, use slotted spoon and drain oil, keep in kitchen tissue to drain excess oil and fry rest of gujiyas/karanji.
- Outer layer dough should be stiff to make gujiya/karanji/karjikai cripsy.
- Add enough oil, ghee or moyan as we call so to make gujiya crispy yet soft, you can see layers in gujiya.
- If making in large batch make all the gujiya first and then keep fry if doing it alone.
- After you make gujiya if any of it get break and fillings starts to come out gently press where ever gujiya breaking. While frying if any of the gujiya break then filling will spoil oil so take out that gujiya.
- Always fry gujiya in medium to slow flame for even cooking.
- If you don't have poppy seeds it's fine I didn't used either.
- You can do same gujiya only with sooji or only with khoya, mixed fry fruits, dal, etc.
Enjoy the classic, traditional, authentic Gujiya this Diwali.
Gujiya recipe,sooji gujiya recipe, karanji recipe,karjikai recipe,Kajjkayalu recipe,diwali sweet recipe,holi sweet recipe,gujiya diwali sweet,easy diwali sweets,authentic diwali sweet recipe,traditional diwali sweet