Besan Murukku | Easy Murukku Recipe | Diwali Snacks Recipes
Murukku or Muruku or Chakli is popular evening snack or Diwali/festival recipe made normally with rice flour. Besan Murukku is different from general murukku there is no rice flour used in this recipe, it's just made of besan/chickpeas and spices. Murukku means twisted in Tamil and so this twisted snack is called murukku or Chakli in hindi.
This Besan Murukku is a good change from usual mullu murkku, butter murukku, thenkuzhal murukku, coconut murukku or any other murukku/chakli variety. You might thing it's same as besan sev though the ingredients are almost same but the taste is very different from sev. This besan murukku is crunchy yet soft just how a murukku suppose to be.
If you are bored of doing every year same recipe or simple look for a change or something interesting to try this you will like this murukku. It's very easy to make with minimal ingredients and steps. I find this besan murukku easier to make than making mullu murukku.
Don't miss carom seeds/ajwain/omam, it's adds wonderful flavor to murukku and also helps in digestion as we are using besan here. Instead of pepper powder you can add red chili powder too if wishes and also little garlic to jazzed it up and make it spicy version.
One thing you have to take are is once you press murukku in oil or drop in oil you should not immediately start frying it with spatual but let it cook for 30 secs to a minute for murukku to get firm, if you immeditely start moving murukku in oil it will break in pieces and more you move the tinier it gets, trust me this is from experience :)
Try this besan murukku this Diwali or Deepavali 2013 and you will like it too, share with friends and family this different murukku and they will love it too.
You can also check:
- Diwali Sweets Recipes
- Diwali Snacks Recipes
- 12 Vegan Diwali Sweets and Snacks recipes
- DIY: Home made Decroative Diyas Ideas
- DIY: Diwali Home Decoration Ideas
- Diwali Dinner Menu Ideas
- Kitchen Basics - Masala, Paste Recipes
Other Diwali Snacks
Besan Murukku | Murukku RecipeBesan Murukku is light, crunchy Diwali (tea time) snack made with chickpeas flour/besan and spices.
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 1 Cup - Besan/Chickpeas Flour
- 2 tbsp - Oil
- 1/2 tsp - Fresh Peppercorn Powder
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Carom Seeds/Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- A Pinch - Soda-Bi-Carb
- To Taste - Salt (I used 1/2 tsp)
- 1/4 Cup+1 tbsp/As Needed - Water
- For Deep Frying - Oil
- Sieve besan in bowl and add all the ingredients 2 tbsp oil, salt, soda, carom seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorn pwoder and turmeric powder.
- Use a whisk or hand and mix everything together well.
- Warm water and add water 1 tbsp at a time and start kneading dough, don't add all the water together but slowly add as needed. Once dough starts to come together just keep kneading for 2-3 mins and add water if not it will become very sticky. I used 1/4 Cup + 1 tbsp water to make soft dough.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a kadai/wok and fill preparied dough in murukku/sev press or machine using star blade/disc as known in picture.
- Press to make in circular murukku directly over oil, or do it on back of the ladle or in a wet cloth/greased plastic sheet. Make 4-5 murukku in a batch if using medium size kadai/wok, don't over crowd the kadai.
- Fry in medium heat until golden brown or bubbles ceases, don't turn murukku immediately after dropping in oil it will break in pieces. Once murukku made wait for it to cook little so murukku can hold shape.
- Drain in colander lined with kitchen tissue, repeat same for rest of dough.
- You can add 1/2 tsp red chili powder instead of pepper powder.
- You can add 1 tsp garlic powder or garlic paste to make it as garlic besan murukku.
- Don't skip carom and cumin seeds.
- Don't fry murukku immediately after dropping in oil, let it cook for a while before you start moving murukku if not it will break in pieces.
Light, crunchy murukku to have as tea time snack or for diwali.
besan murukku recipe, murukku recipe, chaliki recipe,diwali snacks recipe, deepavali snacks recipe,deepavali savoury snacks,easy murukku recipe, how to make murukku,murukku for diwali