Kheksi Chana Dal | Kantola Dal | Dal Recipes
I normally eat kheksi/kantola during my visit to in-law place mostly in dal form. This dal is very simple with minimal ingredients taste delicious the same we can do with ahar/toor dal too but chana dal taste better with loads of garlic and dry chili is the major highlight in this dal.
Kheksi dal is great wayt eat Kheksi also known as kakrol, Spine-Gourd, Kantola (kantala), Kankoda, Kankada, Kakooras, Katu Pire etc. Kheksi or spine-gourd is similar to tindora and pointed gourd (parwal) you can say but the taste is different. Normally this Kheksi Chana Dal made or fry is made with onion and masala which taste yum too. Kheksi is normally available in monsoon so I am not sure if it's still available in market.
This time DH got this spinegourd or kheksi here in Singapore and it's larger in size than what we get in India, small varieties spinegourd are very tender and we don't have to peel it too, the one you see in the below pictures are almost like double size of what we get in India so we peel it as the skin is hard if you get small variety one then you don't have to peel directly slice and cook it.
I wanted to share kheksi dal recipe for long time but I never got a chance to click so this time I made sure I do click it as getting kheksi/kankoda here is really difficult, if you haven't tried kantola yet then do give a try if you want it in your local vegetable market I was introdcued to this veggie couple of years only too. This goes well with steamed rice, jeera rice or even roti, paratha.
You can also check other Dal Recipes
- Beetroot Dal
- Chana Dal Fry
- Chilka Moong Dal Tadka
- Chow Chow Dal
- Gongura Pappu (Dal)
- Hara Moong Dal Fry
- Katte Masoor Dal
- Lauki Tuvar Dal
- Saayi Dal
- Tindora Dal
- Turai Dal
Kheksi Chana Dal | Kantola Dal RecipeKheksi chana dal or Kantola dal is easy dal made with chana dal and spinegourd.
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
|Serves:||4 to 5|
- 1 Cup - Chana Dal/Bengalgram Lentil
- 500 gms - Kheksi/Kantola/Spinegourd
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1/2 tbsp - Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 5-6 - Dry Red Chili
- 1 - Large Onion
- 1 tsp - Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp - Coriander Seeds Powder
- To Taste - Salt
- Soak chana dal and wash, peel and slice kheksi/kantola. This are large kheksi/kantola so need to peel it if you get small variety which are very soft then we don't have to peel.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles chana dal, kheksi, turmeric powder with 2 cups water. Once pressure released mix dal well. Peel and slice onion and mince garlic.
- In a wok or pan heat oil add garlic and saute until golden brown, add cumin seeds, dry red chili (broken) ands saute until cumin splutters. Add onion and saute well until onion becomes golden brown in medium flame.
- Add red chili, coriander powder mix well and cook for 2 minutes in slow flame.
- Add cooked dal, salt and 1/2 cup water mix well and bring it to boil, simmer for 5 minutes and off flame.
~Add more water if you like thin dal but normally this dal consistency is thick.
Healthy, flavorful Kheksi (Kantola) Chana Dal.
Kheksi chana dal,kakrol dal, Spine-Gourd dal, Kantola dal,kantala dal recipe, Kankoda dal recipe, Kankada dal, Kakooras dal, Katu Pire dal recipe, north indian dal recipe, easy dal recipe, chana dal recipe