Lauki Sabzi | Dudhi Sabji | Bottlegourd Dry Curry Recipe
I have made in this way but you can also add milk when bottle gourd gets cooked and no water left it makes the curry very creamy and bring it to all new level. You can add red chili powder, onion etc to suite your taste too so you can see we can modify the recipe but if you follow just the way I did it taste yum too simple and delicious to make a satisfying meal. This time I paired it along Mango Dal, rice for a comfy Saturday lunch and this is also a no onion no garlic recipe :).
Bottle gourd curry, lauki sabzi or dudhi sabji is something I that make more with bottle gourd other than the dal. This lauki sabzi is very easy, simple and made with minimal ingredients and it goes well with roti, paratha or with dal-rice, rasam-rice etc. Normally I make this dudhi sabzi with roti or when I want to make simple lunch then I make it with dal-rice combo. This is typical Uttar Pradesh style of sabzi made like in our home but I did mention few variations in notes which you can try too.
You can also check other Bottlegourd (dudhi/lauki) Recipes
- Lauki Raita
- Lauki Pakoda
- Lauki (Dudhi) Kheer
- Lauki Chutney
- Lauki Badi (Wadi) Sabzi
- Phalahari Dudhi Sabzi
- Lauki Soya Sabzi
- Toor Dal Lauki
Lauki (Duhi) Sabzi RecipeBottle gourd cooked with easy ingredients to make this delicious dry curry.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Side dish||Cuisine:||North Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 3 Cups - Chopped Bottlegourd/Lauki/Dudhi
- 4 to 5 - Green Chilies
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- A Pinch - Asafoetida
- 1 tsp - Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 2 tsp - Minced Ginger or Garlic
- 1 tsp - Coriander Seeds Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- To Taste - Salt
- 1 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Wash, peel and chop bottle gourd/lauki into small pieces like shown in picture. Chop green chilies, coriander leaves (cilantro). In a wok or pan heat oil add asafoetida, cumin seeds and allow to splutter. Add ginger or garlic (whatever you are using), green chilies and saute until light brown.
- Add chopped bottle gourd/lauki pieces and mix well, cover and cook in medium flame for 5 to 7 mins with regular stirring or until bottle gourd leaves water and dried up.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and mix well, cook until bottle gourd gets cooked and no water is left, keeping stirring in intervals. (if your bottle gourd not getting cooked ie it's hard then add 1/4 or 1/2 cup water to cook).
- Add salt, coriander leaves and mix well, cook for 2 minutes in medium flame or until oil separates and off flame.
- You can add 1 chopped onion, saute it first before adding bottle gourd.
- After adding salt, you can add 1/2 cup milk and cook until milk evaporates to get creamy curry.
- Cook until no water is left and curry gets dried.
- If bottle gourd is not getting cooked means it's old or hard, then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water and cook, add more water if required.
Delicious dudhi (lauki) sabzi.
lauki sabzi recipe,dudhi sabzi,bottlegourd curry,dry bottlegourd curry,north indian style lauki sabzi,no onion no garlic curry sabzi recipe,bottle gourd recipes,lauki recipes,dudhi recipes,lauki sabzi for roti,how to cook bottlegourd,