Vendakkai Sambar | Okra Sambar Recipe
For a delicious and comfort weekend lunch it was this vendakkai sambar, beetroot poriyal (stir fry) with steamed rice on a Saturday, simple and filling for a full South Indian lunch affair. Making sambar is very easy, we just need to try it one or two time to make it perfect but of course giving attention to details other wise I do make some time not-so-good sambar too, so if you haven't made sambar yet then it a try and adjust tamarind to suit your taste-bud and some people don't like very tangy food.
Vendakkai Sambar, Ladies Finger Sambar or Okra Sambar whatever we may like to call this vendakkai sambar is one of my favorite and I actually like this more than murungakkai (drumstick) sambar. Okra goes so well with tangy flavored sambar making it perfect side dish with steamed rice and I do try this make this regularly. If you like sambar and ladies finger (bhindi) then you will love this sambar too, it's easy to prepare and taste just yum.
We can also pair this sambar with simple and delicious potato fry, plantain fry (varuval), beans poriyal, kothavarangai (cluster beans) poriyal etc just any easy dry side dish makes a great complete meal.
You can also check other Sambar & Rasam Recipes
Vendakkai (Okra) Sambar RecipeTraditional South Indian Sambar with Okra or Vendakkai.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Side Dish||Cuisine:||South Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 1 Cup - Toor Dal/Split Yellow Pigeon pea
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 15 - Okra/Bhindi
- 1 tbsp - Tamarind
- 1 Medium - Onion
- 4 - Green Chilies
- 1 Large - Tomato
- 1 tbsp - Sambar Powder
- 1 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves
- To Taste - Salt
- 3 to 4 Cups - Water For Tempering
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- A Pinch - Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Fenugreek Seeds
- 6 to 7 - Curry Leaves
- 2 - Dry Red Chili
- 2 tsp - Minced Garlic
- Wash and soak dal for 10 mins, soak tamarind in 1 cup water meanwhile peel and slice onion, slit green chilies, chop tomato, cut okra in 1 inch length. Pressure cook dal with 1 cup water and turmeric powder for 4 whistles or until cooked, allow pressure to release and mash dal, keep aside. Extract juice from tamarind.
- While dal getting cooked and cooker to release pressure we can proceed with rest, in a pan or wok heat oil add asafoetida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, dry red chili, garlic and saute until garlic becomes light brown.
- Add onion, green chilies and saute until onion becomes soft, add okra and saute for 2 mins.
- Add tomato, sambar powder, salt and cook until tomato gets fully mashed. Now add tamarind water and bring it to boil.
- Add mashed dal, 2 to 3 cups water, coriander leaves and bring sambar to boil, (adjust salt if required) slow flame and simmer for 5 mins, off flame.
Delicious okra sambar ready.
vendakkai sambar recipe, vendakkai sambar,Bendakaya sambar,okra sambar,easy sambar recipe,sambar recipe,ladies finger sambar,ladies finger recipes,okra recipes, bhindi sambar,bhindi recipes,okra,vendakkai,