Saamai Karuveppilai Sadam Recipe | Little Millet Curry Leaves Rice | Easy Lunch Box Recipes
The good thing about Singapore is our get good bunch of curry leaves for free with vegetables in Little India so there's is very rare I don't have curry leaves stock and I don't use much as DH doesn't like curry leaves in food in fact if he is going to vegetable shopping then he refuse to get any curry leaves :p so I always have huge stocks with me in fact now also I have 4 large bunch which I am going to make powder and keep.
Karuveppilai Saamai Sadam, millet curry leaves rice, saamai karuveppilai sadam is healthy, vegan, gluten-free, no onion no garlic recipe with goodness of little millets and curry leaves. This also makes great lunch box recipe for both adults and kids and if you look for new ideas to add millets in your diet then this curry leaves rice is great option, also to use large batch of curry leaves :)
I make curry leaves rice rarely as I mention above DH doesn't like that so only for myself or for brother I do some times and this time I did with saamai or little millet and it was yum, if you start eating millets regularly then there's not much difference you will feel with rice and millets. This curry leaves little millet rice is flavorful, spicy and makes great lunch, dinner or lunch box.
If you looks for healthy or diet recipes then this will suit your bill perfectly, I have used saamai/little millet/kutki here but you can use other millets like foxtail, kodo, barnyard too, to know more about millets benefits check this post. Let me know how you like this easy millet rice variety if you try.
Little Millet also known as saamai in tamil, kukti/shavan in hindi, sama or samalu in telgu, saame or save in kannada, chama in malayalam, sava/halvi/vari in marathi, swank in punjabi, gajro or kuri in gujarati, sama in bengali and suan in oriya
You can check other Millets Recipes
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Pesarattu
- Kuthiravali (Barnyard Millet) Peanut Rice
- Saamvat/Kuthiravali (Barnyard Millet) Pulao
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Halwa
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Paratha
- Ragi Inippu Pidi Kozhukattai
- Ragi Malt
- Mixed Millets Flour/Sathu Maavu
Saamai Karuveppilai Sadam Recipe | Little Millet Curry Leaves RiceHealthy, spicy curry leaves rice with little millet
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Main Course||Cuisine:||South Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 2 Cups - Little Millet/Saamai/Kutki To Roast and Grind
- 2 tsp - Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups - Curry Leaves, packed
- 2 tbsp - Channa Dal
- 2 tbsp - Toor/Arhar Dal
- 2 tbsp - Urad Dal
- 2 tbsp - Coriander Seeds/Dhaniya
- 2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp - Whole Black Pepper
- 6 - Dried Red Chili
- 1 tsp - Fenugreek Seeds/Methi (optional)
- To Taste - Salt To Temper/Tadka
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 1 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp - Urad Dal
- 8 - Halved Cashewnuts
- 3 - Sliced Geen Chilies
- Cook washed saamai/little millets with 4 cups of water 1:2 ratio for 2 whistles or do it in open pan, allow pressure to release and gently fork millets, keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a wok or pan and all all the ingredients listed under 'To Roast and Grind' except curry leaves, roast until dals gets golden brown. Add curry leaves stir for 30 secs and off flame.
*Wash and pat dry curry leaves well before using.
- Stir curry leaves for 1 min and keep on stove to cool, curry leaves will becomes crisp.
- Add all the ingredients in mixer or coffee grinder, add salt and grind to slightly coarse powder.
- Heat oil or ghee in a kadai or pan add all the ingredients listed under 'To Temper/Tadka' and once cashewnuts and dal becomes light brown off flame, pour over millets or add millets to same pan, I always add it to pan, add curry leaves powder and mix well.
Serve hot or warm with fryums or papad and simple poriyal (stirfry), kootu.
- You can use any millet of your choice.
- You can replace cashewnuts with peanuts.
- I always wash and dry curry leaves on clean kitchen towel a night before, make sure to use fresh leaves without any thing dried or black colored.
- You can prepare curry leaves powder, store and use whenever required, this powder stays good for over a month in room temperature.
- You can add salt while cooking millet instead of adding while grinding curry leaves mix.
Easy, healthy saamai curry leaves rice.
karuveppilai sadam recipe,karuveppilai saamai sadam recipe,millet curry leaves rice,little millet curry leaves rice,easy lunch box recipes,south indian curry leaves recipes, millets recipes, saamai karuveppilai sadam, saami recipe, little millets recipes, vegan recipe, glutenfree recipes, glutenfree lunch box ideas,