Peerkangai Sambar Recipe | Ridge Gourd (Turai) Sambar Recipe
Apart from making this sambar, ridge gourd skin gets transformed into the delicious Thogayal which works as great side so even if we don't make any other side dish like stir fry or poriyal this both makes great comfort lunch any day. Not only with rice this sambar goes well with idli, dosa too, I made the sambar in large quantity and served with rice for lunch and with millet dosa for dinner make use of the sambar fully great right? :)
Peerkangai Sambar , ridge gourd sambar, turai sambar, beerakaya sambhar is easy sambar made with ridge gourd or peerkangai which makes good side dish with rice. I normally make turai sabzi or dal and this peerkangai sambar is very rare affair but this time from making dal I changed my mind and decide to do sambar and in hurry manage to click the pictures too so I can happily share the recipe now :)
For weekend lunch I made this turai sambar, peerkangai thol thogayal, vazhakkai varuval, banana peel thoran (poriyal) and paruppu rasam. Now a days am doing full Tamil or South Indian lunch menus a lot for some unknown reason and it's very good thing :) So if you make only turai dal then do try this sambar too for a delight ful lunch.
You can also check other Sambar Recipes
Peerkangai Sambar | Turai Sambar RecipeDelicious sambar with ridge gourd, good side dish with rice.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Side Dish||Cuisine:||South Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 1 Cup - Arhar/Toor Dal
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1 Large - Ridgegourd/Peerkangai/Turai
- 1 Medium - Carrot (optional)
- 1 tbsp - Tamarind, packed
- 1 Medium - Onion
- 1 Medium - Tomato
- 1 tbsp - Sambar Powder
- To Taste - Salt
- 2 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 5-6 Cups - Water To Temper or Tadka
- 1 tbsp - Oil or Ghee
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 5 to 6 - Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Fenugreek Seeds/Methidana
- 2 - Slit Green Chili
- 2 tsp - Chopped Garlic (optional)
- Wash and soak dal for 10 mins, soak tamarind in 1 cup water meanwhile peel and chop ridge gourd/turai, carrot, slice onion, chop tomato, coriander leaves, slit green chilies and finely chop garlic.
- Pressure cook dal, ridge gourd, carrot with 2 cups water and turmeric powder for 4 whistles or until cooked, allow pressure to release and mash dal gently, keep aside. Extract juice from tamarind.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai add hing mustard seeds, cumin seeds, methi, garlic, curry leaves, green chili and saute until garlic becomes golden brown , add onion and saute until onion becomes light brown and soft.
- Add tomato, sambar powder mix well and cook until tomato gets soft, add tamarind water now (I added 1 1/2 tsp tamarind paste and 1/4 cup water) and bring it to good boil, simmer for 2-3 mins
- Add dal with veggie, 2-3 cups of water, salt and mix well, cover and cook in medium flame until boil comes. Remove any forth if comes on top and simmer for 5-7 mins in medium flame, add coriander leaves mix and off flame.
- You can skip carrot.
- Don't waste the ridge gourd or peerkangai peel, make the thogyal which can be serve with rice too.
- You can skip garlic, you can reduce sambar powder to 1/2 tbsp or 2 tsp if your sambar powder or green chili is very spicy.
- You can chop ridge gourd and saute with onion instead of cooking it with dal, in this case you can see the ridge gourd pieces in sambar. I personally like to do the quick version of cooking ridge gourd with dal when in hurry.
Simple, delicious peerkangai sambar.
Peerkangai sambar recipe,how to make peerkangai sambar recipe,Recipes for ridge gourd sambar, ridgegourd sambar, turai dal, turai sambar, Beerakaya sambhar recipe, easy sambar recipe,Peerkangai carrot sambar,Peechinga sambar, how to make sambar, side dish for rice, vegan sambar recipe