Thinai Kara Pongal | Thinai Pongal Recipe | Foxtail Millet Pongal | Millets Recipes
I have become such huge millets fan and other than making cooking millet in normal rice form, I try new things once a while and some time back I tried this kara pongal with thinai and it's just yum. After that I made also pongal with samai (little millet) using same method and love it too. So you can try this pongal recipe with any millet of your choice.
Thinai Kara Pongal, thinai pongal, foxtail millet pongal is healthy pongal and great way to replacement for rice. This thinai pongal is like all millets healthy, gluten-free, vegan and the best part it's very difficult to make out the pongal is not made with rice, great isn't it? So if you look to add millet in your diet then this ven pongal is wonderful option too and you can make others eat too without them noticing much. Foxtail millet also known as Thinai in Tamil, Kangni in Hindi/Punjabi, Korra in Telugu, Navane in Kannada, Thina in Malayalam, Kang in Marathi, Kang in Gujarati, Kaon in Bengali and Kanghu in Oriya.
Like regular pongal this thinai pongal it's better if we eat it hot, if the pongal gets dry then add some hot water and mix well. You can serve this pongal with any chutney of choice or even sambar, thinai pongal is really delicious and very easy to prepare makes great breakfast or dinner.
You can check other Millets Recipes,
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Pesarattu
- Saamai Karuveppilai Sadam (Little Millet Curry Leaves Rice)
- Kuthiravali (Barnyard Millet) Peanut Rice
- Saamvat/Kuthiravali (Barnyard Millet) Pulao
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Halwa
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Paratha
- Ragi Inippu Pidi Kozhukattai
- Ragi Malt
- Mixed Millets Flour/Sathu Maavu
Thinai Kara Pongal | Foxtail Millet Pongal RecipePopular South Indian breakfast pongal with foxtail millet.
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 1 Cup - Thinai/Foxtail Millet
- 1/2 Cup - Yellow Moong Dal/Pasi Paruppu
- 6-8 - Black Peppercorn
- To Taste - Salt
- 4 Cups - Water To Grind
- 1 inch - Ginger
- 1 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp - Black Peppercorn To Temper or Tadka
- 1 tbsp - Oil or Ghee
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 5 to 6 - Curry Leaves
- 6 to 8 - Cashewnuts
Serve hot with chutney, sambar. I served with beetroot sambar.
- Wash and soak thinai (millet) and moong dal for 10 mins, meanwhile grind ginger, cumin seeds and pepper corn to coarse powder, just run mixer for less than 10 secs to get coarse mixture.
- Heat a pressure cook add moong dal and saute for minute in medium flame, add thinai (foxtail millet) and saute for a minute too. Add whole peppercorns (I added crushed peppercorns), salt, water mix well and pressure cook 4 whistles in medium flame.
- Once pongal gets cooked and while we wait for cooker to release pressure, in a small tadka pan or normal pan heat oil or ghee, add asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger-cumin-pepper mixture we prepared and saute until they start to become brown. Now add cashew and saute until cashew gets golden brown.
- Open cook and mash well pongal, pour this tempering over pongal and mix well.
- You can add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder too.
- If pongal becomes dry after a while add 1/2 cup of hot water and mix well.
Simple, delicious, gluten-free, vegan thinai ven pongal.
thinai pongal recipe,thinai recipes,foxtail millet pongal, thinai kara pongal,thinai ven pongal recipe, millet recipes,foxtail millet recipes,how to cook thinai,how to cook millets,south indian millet recipes,easy millet recipes,millet breakfast recipes