Varagu Tomato Pulao | Varagu Thakkali Sadam | Kodo Millet Tomato Pulao Recipes
As I mention in my other millets posts becoming millets fan and trying to make new things so it's remains interesting for me and for you too :) I normally make pulao like the sama (barnyard millet) pulao that I have already posted but that was vrat recipe, I follow some times same just add regular salt or I make veg pulao, will post the recipe soon of that. This tomato pulao with kodo millet I made few days back when I wanted to make something good, spicy and yet quick so I decided to do this and boy it was delicious. Here is regular Tomato Rice recipe, if you are looking :)
Varagu Tomato Pulao, varagu thakkali pulao, kodo millet tomato pulao is spicy, flavorful pulao or milet variety rice and it makes great lunch, dinner or lunch box recipe. Varagu thakkali sadam or pulao is like all millets healthy, gluten-free, vegan making it excellent choice for weight watchers, diabetics people as we could not miss regular rice at all in this recipe. Kodo millet also known as varagu in tamil, kodra in hindi/marathi/punjabi/gujarati, arikelu in telugu, harka in kannda, koovaragu in malayalam, kodo in bengali and kodua in oriya.
My brother loved it to core, also make paneer raita on side and have a hearty lunch which was done in less than 30 mins what else to ask for right? We can also make this varagu thakkali sadam (pulao) for lunch box as it's taste yum even if cold, pair with some salad, pappad, raita or potato fry, bhindi fry and you are set with your lunch box too. I hope you are enjoying the millets recipes I am posting and if you look for something in specific do let me know.
You can check other Millets Recipes,
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Pesarattu
- Saamai Karuveppilai Sadam (Little Millet Curry Leaves Rice)
- Kuthiravali (Barnyard Millet) Peanut Rice
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Sambar Rice
- Saamvat/Kuthiravali (Barnyard Millet) Pulao
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Halwa
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Paratha
- Ragi Inippu Pidi Kozhukattai
- Mixed Millets Flour/Sathu Maavu
Varagu Tomato Pulao | Kodo Millet Tomato Pulao RecipeFlavorful, spicy, glutenfree pulao with kodo millets, tomato and spices.
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 1 Cup - Varagu/Kodo Millet
- 1 Large - Onion
- 2 Large - Tomato
- 3 - Green Chilies
- 1 tsp - Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp - Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp - coriander Seeds Powder
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- To Taste - Salt
- 1/4 tsp - Garam Masala Powder
- 1 3/4 Cups - Water To Temper or Tadka
- 1 tbsp - Oil or Ghee
- 1/4 inch - Cinnamon
- 1 - Crushed Green Cardamom
- 3 - Cloves
- 1/2 piece - Star Anise
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Fennel Seeds
- Wash and soak varagu (millet) and moong dal for 10 mins, meanwhile peel and slice onion, chop tomato, slit green chilies.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cook add all the items listed under 'To Temper or Tadka' and allow cumin, fennel seeds to splutter. Add onion, green chili, ginger-garlic paste (I used fresh chopped ginger-garlic), saute until onion becomes golden brown and soft.
- Add tomato, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and mix well, add salt and cook in medium flame until tomato gets mash.
- Add varagu (kodo millet) and saute for 2 mins, now add water, garam masala powder, coriander leaves and mix everything well, adjust salt if required. Close cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium flame. Once pressure released, open cooker and gently mix.
Serve hot or warm with raita, fryums, pappad and enjoy the quick, delicious meal.
- You can replace water with coconut milk for extra flavors.
- Reduce red chili if you think it will be spicy for you, this pulao is on little spicy side.
- You can make this tomato pulao with any other millets with little millet (saamai), barnyard millet (kuthiravali), foxtail millet (thinai) or regular rice too.
Simple, delicious, gluten-free, vegan varagu tomato pulao.
varagu tomato rice recipe, varagu arisi Thakkali sadam,varagu Thakkali pulao, kodo millet tomato pulao, millet pulao, millet recipes, how to cook millets, varagu tomato pulao recipe, Thakkali sadam recipe, vegan, gluten-free,lunch box recipes, millets variety,varagu rice benefits