Bajra Masala Khichdi | Bajre Ki Khichdi Recipe | Millet Recipes
Pearl millet is also known as Bajra in Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali & Oriya, Kambu in Tamil, Sajjalu in Telugu, Sajje in Kannada, Kambam in Malayalam, Bajri in Marathi & Gujarati. I normally stock bajra flour but along with other millets even got whole pearl millet which I mostly use in the Multi Millet Adai Dosa that's something I make a lot now a days specially for dinner, I did try few things with whole bajra but one of my favorite is this khichdi. On the side the gravy is Dubki wale Aloo.
Bajra Masala Khichdi, Bajre Ki Khichdi, Saboot Bajra Khichdi is pearl millet khichdi or we can even say Kambu Masala Pongal. As it's Sankranti time and for us Sankranti special is making khichdi, chivda dahi, tilgul, bhuga, chikki etc but khichdi is very important like it's Pongal in South and Venn Pongal or Khichdi does have same logic with little difference, anyways so today being Millet Friday I thought of sharing this wonderful, healthy pearl millet recipe of Khichdi.
Goodness of Pearl Millet which has high source of phosphorus, magnesium and also helps in minimizing the risk of type 2 diabetes if taken regularly plus pearl millets are gluten-free. Along with vegetables this bajra khichdi makes very good healthy, vegan recipe and great way to consume whole bajra too. I have cooked vegetables with pearl millet so everything almost got mashed as pearl millet cooking time is high, if you wish to have vegetables bites then dice then in small pieces and cook along with the masala then add with cooked bajra.
You can check other Millets Recipes,
- Thinai (Foxtail Millet) Venn Pongal
- Ragi (Finger Millet) Idli Dosa
- Thinai (Foxtail Millet) Idli Dosa
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Pesarattu
- Saamai Karuveppilai Sadam (Little Millet Curry Leaves Rice)
- Kuthiravali (Barnyard Millet) Peanut Rice
- Mixed Millets Adai Dosa
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Halwa
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Paratha
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Sambar Sadam
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Tomato Pulao
- Mixed Millets Flour/Sathu Maavu
Bajra Masala Khichdi | Pearl Millet RecipeHealthy, gluten-free, vegan khichdi with pearl millet and vegetables.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Main Course||Cuisine:||North Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 1 Cup - Bajra/Pearl Millet
- 1/2 Cup - Yellow Moong Dal
- 1 medium - Potato
- 1 medium - Carrot
- 8-10 - Beans
- 1/4 Cup - Green Peas
- 5-6 - Cauliflower Florets (optional)
- 4 Cups - Water
- To Taste - Salt
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- 2 medium - Onion
- 2 - Green Chilies
- 1 large - Tomato
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 2 tsp - Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp - Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp - Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1/2 tbsp - Lemon Juice (optional)
- Soak bajra over night or you can soak for 4 hours, wash well and keep aside. Soak moong dal for 10-15 mins, and meanwhile peel and dice potato, carrot, chop beans, cut cauliflower in florets (if using) and cut any other vegetable that you would like to use.
- In a pressure cooker add soaked, washed bajra, moong dal, all the vegetables, green chili, salt 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 4 cups water, we have to use water 4 times with bajra but if you are using futura cooker you can use less water like 2 or 3 cups. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles, after 3-4 whistles keep flame to low and cook for 5 mins.
- While khichdi getting cooked, peel and chop onion, green chili, coriander leaves and tomato (I pureed tomato).
- In a pan or kadai heat oil add hing, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Now add onion, ginger-garlic paste and saute until onion becomes light brown.
- Add red chili powder, remaining turmeric powder, coriander powder and mix well cook for 1 min in low flame. Now add tomato, mix well and cook until tomato gets mashed or for 1-2 mins in medium flame.
- Open cooker and add prepared masala and mix well, simmer for 2-3 mins, adjust salt if required. Off flame add coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix to combine.
Serve hot or warm with pickle, papad or any side dish if you prefer.
- I added all the vegetables with bajra in cooker which you can't see and it got mashed as bajra cooking time is high.
- You can chop all the vegetables in small pieces and cook with onion-tomato masala then add with cooked bajra too. Add any vegetable of your choice.
- To make it simple, fry onion, chili, ginger-garlic in cooker then add bajra, tomato, spices and pressure cooker to save time.
Easy, healthy and delicious bajre ki khichdi.
Bajra Khichdi Recipe, Bajra Masala Khichdi,bajra ki khichdi,bajre ki khichdi,bajra khichdi benefits,bajra khichdi nutrition,how to make bajra khichdi,Sajjalu khichdi, healthy khichdi recipes, millet recipes, pearl millet pongal,pearl millet recipes,