Thinai Sakkarai Pongal | Foxtail Millet Sweet Pongal | Millet Recipes
Millets Friday is back with this sweet millet pongal it's so easy to prepare and thinai makes creamy, delicious pongal that you can easily like this more than regular sakkarai pongal ;) It's just a co-incident that I have posted Venn Pongal (savory pongal) also with thinai and now this sweet version with thinai too.
Thinai Sakkarai Pongal, thinai sweet pongal, foxtail millet sweet pongal is healthy pongal and perfect to try for this coming Pongal festival. This thinai pongal is like all millets healthy, gluten-free, vegan and the best part it's very difficult to make out the pongal is not made with rice, great isn't it? Foxtail millet also known as Thinai in Tamil, Kangni in Hindi/Punjabi, Korra in Telugu, Navane in Kannada, Thina in Malayalam, Kang in Marathi, Kang in Gujarati, Kaon in Bengali and Kanghu in Oriya.
I have used white jaggery so the pongal color is cream you can also add brown or palm jaggery which not only better but also brings that beautiful brown color to pongal. You can also make millet pongal with any other millet of your choice and the procedure remains the same too. So enjoy this Pongal (Makar Sankranti) with millet sweet pongal. You can also check Broken Wheat Pongal recipe.
You can check other Millets Recipes,
- Thinai (Foxtail Millet) Venn Pongal
- Ragi (Finger Millet) Idli Dosa
- Thinai (Foxtail Millet) Idli Dosa
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Pesarattu
- Saamai Karuveppilai Sadam (Little Millet Curry Leaves Rice)
- Kuthiravali (Barnyard Millet) Peanut Rice
- Mixed Millets Adai Dosa
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Halwa
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Paratha
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Sambar Sadam
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Tomato Pulao
- Mixed Millets Flour/Sathu Maavu
Thinai Sakkarai Pongal | Foxtail Millet Sweet Pongal RecipeSakkarai Pongal or Sweet Pongal a must for Pongal Festival with Millet.
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 1/2 Cup - Thinai/Foxtail Millet
- 2 tbsp - Yellow Moong Dal/Pasi Paruppu
- 1/2 Cup, heaped - Powder Jaggery
- 2 Cups - Water To Temper or Tadka
- 2 tbsp - Ghee
- 6-8 - Cashewnuts
- 10-12 - Raisins
- 1 - Clove
- 1 - Crushed Green Cardamom
Serve hot or warm.
- Wash and soak thinai (millet) and moong dal for 10 mins this is optional step. In a pressure cooker heat 1 tsp ghee add rinsed moong dal and roast for minute in medium flame, add thinai (foxtail millet) and saute for a minute too.
- Add 2 cups water mix well and pressure cook 4 whistles in medium flame, once done allow pressure to release and open cooker, mix everything well and add powder jaggery & mix again well.
- In a small tadka pan or normal pan heat ghee add halved cashewnuts, clove, crushed cardamom and saute until cashew becomes light brown, now add raisins and off flame, from the heat raisins will puff up. Add this to pongal and mix well.
- You can brown jaggery or palm jaggery.
- If pongal becomes thicker after a while, add boiled milk to loosen up.
- You can add a pinch of edible camphor towards the end.
Simple, delicious, creamy thinai sakkarai pongal.
millet sweet pongal,thinai sakkarai pongal recipes,pongal recipes,thinai pongal recipe,sakkarai pongal recipe,foxtail millet pongal,millet recipes,foxtail millet recipes,how to cook thinai,how to cook millets,sakkarai pongal recipe pressure cooker,south indian millet recipes,easy millet recipes,millet breakfast recipes