Dimer Dalna (Jhol) | Bengali Style Egg Potato Curry | Egg Recipes
I mostly make egg in curry so it's easy to have comfort lunch without much of work ;) and if egg will be as side dish then it will be either egg bhurji or omelette as those two are easy recipe and quick. And this bengali style anda aloo is very regular, I have taken pictures also few times but was not able to post it and this time finally I made up my mind that I have to share this delicious egg curry recipe with you all.
Dimer Dalna, dimer jhol, aloo dimer dalna or Bengali style anda aloo curry or egg potato curry is one of the favorite potato egg curry with addition of freshly made panch phoran this egg curry is delicious and makes excellent meal with rice or paratha. This recipe can be made very quickly and if we have boiled eggs and potato in hand, i you like egg and spicy food then you will love this recipe.
Highlight of this curry is the panch phoran powder and panch phoran which is used in most of the bengali cuisine is made with equal portions of cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and nigella seeds we can mix all this and keep to use as required and also roast and keep some as powder add this panch phoran to any curry and it will taste delicious. Some people also add carom seeds (ajwain) instead of nigella or fenugreek but what I listed is the original panch phoran combination.
You can make this as only dimer jhol or dalna or dimer torkari ie without adding potato but potato and egg is wonderful combination which always works :) Try this and you will love this delicious dimer dinal with steamed rice.
You can check other Egg Curry Recipes
Dimer Dalna | Bengali style Egg Potato Curry RecipeSpicy egg potato curry made in Bengali Style with panch phoran.
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 6 - Eggs
- 3 Medium - Potato
- 3 Medium - Onion
- 3 Medium - Tomato
- 4 tbsp - Oil, (Mustard preferred)
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 4 - Green Chilies
- 2 tsp - Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp - Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp - Coriander Seeds Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Garam Masala Powder (optional)
- To Taste - Salt
- 1/2 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves To Roast and Grind (Panch Phoran)
- 1 tsp - Mustard Seeds/Rai
- 1 tsp - Fenugreek Seeds/Methi
- 1 tsp - Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1 tsp - Fennel Seeds/Sanuf
- 1 tsp - Nigella Seeds/Kalonji
- Hard boil eggs and potato either boil water, add eggs and cook for 8-10 mins in medium flame or pressure cook for 2 whistle. Once done add eggs to normal water and set aside for cool, make a small crack using knife or any other object and remove the egg shell, makes 2-3 slits in each egg and keep aside. Peel and chop potato.
- While the eggs getting cooked, heat a pan and dry roast all the ingredients listed under 'To Roast and Grind' for panch phoran until light brown and aromatic, allow to cool and grind in to coarse powder.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil (to smoking point if using mustard oil) in a pan or kadai fry egg until golden brown in almost all sides, now add potato pieces and fry potato gets light golden brown, transfer to a plate and keep aside.
- Peel and slice half onion, rest of onion make paste. Puree tomato and keep aside, chop green chili, coriander leaves.
- Heat remaining oil (used mustard oil here - heat until smoking point) in a pan or kadai add hing, sliced onion cook until onion becomes soft. Now add green chili, onion paste, ginger-garlic paste and saute until onion becomes golden brown and oil starts to separate. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, 1/2 tbsp of panch phoran powder we prepared, mix and cook for 2 mins in medium to slow flame.
- Add tomato puree (I added 1 chopped tomato and 1/2 tbsp tomato paste), mix and cook until oil starts to leave pan edges.
- Add 2-3 cups water, salt and bring it to good boil. Add the eggs, potato and simmer for 8-10 mins in medium flame or until gravy becomes thick, oil floats on top. Add garam masala, coriander leaves, mix and off flame.
- Remaining panch phoran you can add to any curry of your choice.
- You can also deep fry egg and potato pieces.
- If you don't have mustard oil, it's fine use any vegetable oil. If using mustard oil make sure to heat it until smoking point otherwise oil smell will be in food.
- The good red color comes from the chili powder and tomato paste, make sure to use good kashmiri color of red color and if you don't mind that color then it's fine.
Delicious and flavorfu Dimer Jhol.
dimer dalna recipe, dimer jhol recipe,bengali style egg potato curry, bengali egg curry with potato,spicy egg potato curry,bengali egg curry recipe,bengali dimer dalna recipe,aloo dimer dalna,dimer torkari,dimer jhol bengali recipe,dimer jhol,potato egg curry, egg potato curry recipe,