Bagara Baigan~ Eggplant Curry from Edible Garden
I had eggplant/brinjal/baigan with me for more than 3 weeks now lying in the fridge giving up the hope on me. The problem was the eggplants were it was neither big enough for me to make baigan bharta or small to make bagara baigan, they were in bigger than medium size.
I wanted to make bagara baigan for very long time now but never tried it so far due to the complicated recipe. One Saturday I saw Nags FB status that she is making something with eggplant, I went and checked her site and found the Hyderabad style bagara baigan which was looking simple enough for me to give a try and I’m glad that I did.
It tasted yummy with the scope of improvement (perhaps next time add all the ingredients ;)). Never mind that I didn’t had coconut and use large eggplant ;) So here the recipe my way.
Eggplant /Bringal - 4 medium size or 6 small size
Sesame Seeds - 2 tbsp
Peanuts - 2 tbsp
Onion - 1 large
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
Redchili Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind - one small lemon size
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Water - 2 cups
1. In a pan roast sesame seeds until golden brown, followed by peanuts and set aside.
2. Once cool grind sesame and peanuts to fine paste using little water. [Add coconut if using]
3. Soak the tamarind in water for 15 mins and extract the pulp in approximate using 1 cup water.
4. Wash, chop onion. Wash and slit the eggplant/brinjal (more of making a plus (+) sign) and keep aside.
5. In a pan heat oil and saute/fry the eggplant until golden brown or eggplant becomes soft, keep aside.
6. In a same pan add chopped onion, ginger garlic paste and fry until golden brown (add little more oil if required).
7. Add grounded paste and fry for 2-3 mins or until the rawness disappear.
8. Add all the spices powder, salt and fry for 2 mins. Now add the tamarind extract and mix well, cook for 5 mins with lid on. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook for 5-7 minutes or until gravy become thick.
I made channa daal, broccoli stir fry along too to enjoy the sat’day meal :)
Enjoy your day ...