Ragda Patties | Chaat Recipes
Ragda Patties is one of the popular street food or chaat item in North India and it’s one of the chaat items that I make the most and never really got the chance to post the recipe for the simple reason that it’s get’s over so fast before any clicking can be done! So this time I made this for a friend and decided to post the recipe. Slowly ragda pattices has been one of our favorite chaat cause it’s works perfect as a chaat/snack and also as a meal, I mostly do this for dinner. List of ingredients looks long but it's actually quite easy to prepare and if we have the chutney ready then it's quick too.
Bursting with so many flavors and spices, ragda pattice is a treat. I have made this couple of times for guests and they started to love these too. Ragda here is almost same as sundal that we get in Chennai from street hawkers, it was fun to eat hot piping sundal on raining days! I do the same some times too just make the ragda/sundal and relish it. And ya ofcourse I did disappear for some time now but that’s was not a planned break, let's checkout the recipe now.
For Ragda: [Serves 3-4 people]
White Dry Peas/ White Vatana – 1 1/2 cups
Water – 4 cups or as required
Salt – To taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Asafoetida/Hing – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
White Sesame Seeds – 1 tsp
Crushed Peanuts – 2 tbsp [optional]
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Fresh minced ginger-garlic – 1 tbsp [or ginger-garlic paste 1 tbsp]
Onion – 2 medium
Green Chillies – 2
Tomato – 1 large
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Amchur/Dry Mango Powder – 1 tsp Or Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cilantro – to garnish
For Patties (Aloo Tikki)
Please refer the recipe here
Green Chutney – To taste
Sweet Chutney – To taste
1. Wash and soak vatana/dry peas over night.
2. Drain, rinse and pressure cook vatana with water and salt for 2 whistles.
3. Meanwhile finely chop onion, green chillies, tomato and cilantro, keep aside.
4. In a pan or wok heat oil add Asafoetida/Hing, cumin, mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Followed by peanuts (if using), curry leaves and sesame seeds, allow it to pop. (keep a lid handy, after adding sesame seeds over the pan or it will pop all over) Add ginger-garlic and sauté until light brown.
5. Now add onion, green chillies and fry until onion becomes translucent, Add all powder spices except amchur powder and give a good stir.
6. Add tomato and cook until tomato mashes well or oil starts to leave side of pan. Now add boiled vatana/peas and mix everything well.
7. Add more water if required and adjust salt, add amchur powder or lemon juice, bring it to good boil and simmer in slow for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.
Our ragda is ready.
1. In a bowl or flat plate keep 2 pattices/tikki and pour radga over.
2. Add green and sweet chutney, sprinkle onion, sev and cilantro.
Have it warm and enjoy.
Have a nice day ~~