Carrot Kheer | Carrot Payasam | Navratri Vrat Fasting Recipes
Today Navratri is starting so am sharing this sweet carrot kheer to mark this wonderful festival. Carrot Kheer or Gajar ki Kheer can be served cold, hot or warm and it's taste delicious in all ways. I personally like this cold when it's taste similar to rabri.
Carrot Kheer (Gajar ki Kheer) or Carrot Paysam is delicious sweet or dessert suitable for all occasion, celebration, festivals and for fasting (Vrat/Upwas) too. Carrot kheer is made with minimal ingredients and it's very easy to prepare, this kheer almost taste like rabri creamy and yum, carrot kheer is great idea for party, get together or diwali dessert as it's takes almost same time even if made in large quantity, the only time we spend is grating the carrot but there's also a quick fix way for it.
If you get bored of usual kheer then this carrot kheer or payasam is nice alternative and for kids not getting much of vegetables it's great way to make them eat some vegetable. If you are making this for large quantity for larger number of people then you can steam carrots and grind them instead of grating so save some time. So enjoy these carrot kheer during Navratri, any celebration or just as dessert to pamper yourself.
You can also check other navratri vrat/upwas (fasting) recipes and here some other kheer (payasam) recipes
- Dudhi (Bottle gourd) Kheer
- Sabudadna (Sago) Kheer
- Khajoor Kheer | Dates Payasam
- Moong Dal Kheer | Pasi Paruppu Payasam
- Seviyan | Semiya Payasam
Carrot Kheer (Payasam) | Navratri Vrat RecipesCarrot Payasam or Gajar Kheer is easy sweet dessert recipe perfect for any occasion or celebration or for fasting (vrat/upwas)
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
|Serves:||4 to 5|
- 3 Cups - Grated Carrot
- 5 Cups - Milk
- 6 to 7 tbsp - Sugar
- 2 tsp - Ghee
- 12 to 14 - Cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp - Raisins
- 5 to 6 - Almonds
- 1/2 tsp - Freshly Crushed Cardamom
- Peel, wash and grate carrots. Slice almonds and keep aside.
- In a wok or pan heat ghee and saute cashew nuts, almonds until light brown, add raisins and saute for 20-30 secs or until raisins starts to puff up, remove nuts and keep aside.
- In a another pan or vessel bring milk to boil and simmer in slow flame until needed and milk gets thick.
- Add carrot in same pan we fried dry fruits and saute 5-7 minutes in medium flame with regular stirring or until carrot becomes soft.
- Add 1/2 cup milk (milk we boiled), mix, cover pan cook carrots in slow flame for 6-8 minutes or until carrot gets almost cooked. Allow to cool.
- Grind 3/4 of cooked carrots into paste, don't use any water if required use 1-2 tbsp of milk.
- Add milk to remaining 1/4 portion of cooked carrot, add carrot paste and mix well. Simmer in slow to medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and mix well, simmer for another 5 minutes. Add fried nuts, cardamom powder mix and simmer for 4-5 minutes in slow flame.
- You can grind all the cooked carrot too.
- You can add 3-4 tbsp of condensed milk and skip sugar.
- You can use half evaporated milk and half full cream milk too.
- If making this for large group cut peeled carrot in large chunks, steam for 4-5 mins and puree it instead of grating and follow same procedure.
Enjoy creamy delicious carrot kheer.
Carrot Kheer recipe, carrot payasam,gajar kheer, navratri recipes, fasting recipes, fasting food, vrat ka khaan,vrat kheer, navratri kheer payasam, navratri food recipes, recipe for navratri food,