Squid Masala | Sotong Masala Curry | Squid Recipes
Squid Masala Curry, Sotong Curry or Kanava Masala, Koonthal Curry is easy masala curry made with squid or sotong in onion-tomato gravy. This squid curry is Andhra style so it's on spicy side. I didn't ate myself this squid masala but really got good review for it and that too when I cooked it first time and until now the only time.
I made for DH's close friend and he got theses sotong too along as we don't eat sotong/squid. DH friend also gave me the recipe which he got it from his sister whom suppose to be expert in this curry, DH friend was suppose to make this squid himself but he came over to our place that day and bring it along and offered to cook it himself but I thought of trying my hands though I was skeptical. He gave his sister recipe ( they call it squid fry) which I followed the result was really good he said, DH didn't ate too so I couldn't get his review.
For 1st time the curry came really well it looked fab and taste yum just like his sister prepares seriously I was happy hearing that. So if you eat squid or sotong and try this version and you will love it too, reduce chili powder to 1 tsp if you don't eat spicy food. I quickly cliked few pictures in late evening as I know I am not going to cook squid again but too share with you all this lovely recipe.
You can also check Non-Vegetrian recipes
- Punjabi Egg Curry
- Chettinad Prawn Masala
- Kadai Chicken
- Nadan Chemmeen Varuthathu | Kerala Style Prawn Fry
- Chicken Potato Curry in Pressure Cooker
- Gongura Prawns
- Andhra Chicken Pickle
- Malvani Fish Curry
Serve hot or warm with steamed rice.
Squid Fry (Masala) | Sotong Masala Curry RecipeSotong or Squid cooked in onion tomato gravy Indian style.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Main Course||Cuisine:||South Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
|Serves:||3 to 4|
- 400gms - Squid/Sotong
- 5 Large - Onions
- 5 - Green Chilies
- 3 Large - Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp - Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 3 tbsp - Oil
- 1 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 6 to 7 - Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp - Red Chili Powder
- 1.5 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp - Coriander Seeds Powder
- To Taste - Salt
- 4 tbsp - Chopped Coriander,Mint Leaves
- Wash and chop sotong or squid in medium size pieces, marinate it with 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt for 15 to 20 mins or until required. Before adding to curry rinse 2-3 times in water.
- Peel and slice onion, slit green chilies, chop tomato and coriander, mint leaves.
- In a wok or pan heat oil add cumin, mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add curry leaves, onion, green chilies, ginger-garlic paste and saute until onion becomes soft.
- Once onions becomes soft and brown add red chili, turmeric and coriander seeds powders and cook for 2 minutes in slow flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes mix well, cover and cook until tomato gets mashed.
- Once tomato gets mashed fully add rinsed squid and mix well, cover and cook for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Add salt mix well, cover and cook again (don't add any water) for 12 to 15 mins in slow to medium flame or until oil floats on top and gravy becomes thick, stir in regular inteverals. Add coriander and mint leaves mix, cover and keep aside for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve hot or warm with steamed rice.
- Use spicy chili powder if you eat spicy food. Reduce chili powder if you don't eat spicy food :)
- Don't add water at-all, this curry suppose to be thick. Water from squid itself will help in cooking.
- Let the curry sit for 10 mins or more before you serve, it taste better that way.
Enjoy the spicy and delcious squid (sotong) masala curry.
sotong masala curry, squid masala curry, squid recipes, sotong recipes,Kanava curry,Koonthal Curry, squid masala curry andhra style, spicy squid masala,Kaamuta sanchulu curry