Tomato Rasam | Thakkali Rasam | Easy Rasam Recipes
This is my sister recipe she used to make mostly tomato rasam than any other rasam variety. If you don't have rasama powder then make some and if you don't have time for that then simply add red chili, coriander seeds and turmeric powder, these things work well too.
Tomato Rasam or Thakkali rasam (saaru) is easy and simple rasam recipe made with tomato, little of tamarind and spices. Tomato rasam goes well with rice normally pair along poriyal (stirfry) some pappad or fryums it makes a complete meal on any day and also good for lunch box recipes. There are many ways of making tomato rasam and this is one of the easy method with little of tamarind and no lentil or dal is used. If you wish you can skip tamarind totally in that case try to use sour tomatoes.
Using ghee for tempering enchance the flavor of rasam to higher level but if you are vegan or want use oil, in this instant I did used oil instead of ghee and it taste yum either way, paired rasam with carrot beans poriyal, some fryums and we had great weekend lunch. Other rasam recipes you might like Drumstick Leaves Rasam, Paruppu Rasam , Rasam
Side dish recipes to try with this tomato rasam
- Beans Poriyal (Stir fry)
- Beetroot Poriyal (Stir fry)
- Beetroot and Sprouts Stir fry
- Broccoli Stir fry
- Broccoli Carrot Poriyal
- Cluster Beans Poriyal
- Vazhakkai Varuval (Plantain Fry)
Tomato (Thakkali) Rasam RecipeEasy Tomato(thakaali) rasam recipe
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Side Dish||Cuisine:||South Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
|Serves:||5 to 6|
- 4 Large - Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp - Thick Tamarind Extract
- 2 tsp - Rasam Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Red Chili Powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp - Crushed Peppercorns
- 3 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 5 to 6 Cups - Water
- To Taste - Salt To Temper
- 2 tsp - Oil or Ghee
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 4 to 5 - Fenugreek Seeds/Methidana
- 3 - Broken Dry Red Chili
- 1/2 tbsp - Minced Garlic (optional)
- 8 to 10 - Curry Leaves
- Wash and cut tomato in large chunks, boil with 2 cups of water until soft and tomato gets mashed. Meanwhile soak tamarind in 1/4 cup water for 10-12 mins and extra thick pulp.
- Mash cooked tomato well in same water and add tamarind extract, turmeric powder, red chili powder, crushed peppercorns, salt, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, 3-4 cups of water and mix.
- In a pan or wok heat oil or ghee add hing, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, garlic, curry leaves, broken dry chili and saute until garlic becomes golden brown.
- Add prepared prepared tomato-spice mixture and bring it to good boil, simmer for 5 minutes. Add rasam powder, adjust salt if required and simmer for 2-3 minutes, add remaining coriander leaves and off flame.
- You can add Sambar Powder instead of Rasam Powder.
- You can chop and cook tomato after doing tempering too instead of blanching it first.
- If you don't eat garlic skip that or replace it with minced ginger.
- Add more peppercorns for spicy version.
Healthy, simple and easy tomato rasam.
rasam recipe, tomato rasam recipe, tomato saaru, thakkali rasam recipe, how to make tomato rasam, instant tomato rasam recipe, easy tomato rasam,spicy tomato rasam recipe, tomato curry, andhra tomato rasam, recipe for rasam