Masala Urad Dal Wadi | Badi | Vadi | Wadiyan | Masala Badi Recipe
In my parents and in-law place mostly urad dal is used to make wadi and at my in-laws place there so many variety of badi which I discovered after my marriage only that there can be so many badi variety, made with different vegetables along with the urad dal in different forms I wish to blog all that to share the wonderful knowledge about vadi but it doesn't happens some how !!
Masala Urad Dal Wadi or badi as we call it is also known as wadiyan, vadiyal, vadiyalu. Wadi is summer essential in most of the North Indian house and prepared with different dals, spices with basic concept of grinding dal, spices and sun drying remains same over generations now. Once wadiyan is done it's a bliss for year along to make aloo badi sabzi or add vadi with any curry it makes the curry extra delicious.
Today's recipe is from my parent's place and this is one of the most common badi in family. Few spices used along urad dal to make this masala urad dal wadi, once dried we can store this for more than a year and whenever required just fry in oil, soak in water and add in any vegetable of choice. Badi normally get's pair along any vegetable. The most popular is Aloo Wadi (Badi) sabzi of course then the list goes along. I made Seim ki phalli, aloo and badi sabzi.
Aloo, Baingan, Badi is another classic combo to try, basically vadi, aloo and add one or two more vegetable to get a wonderful side dish for roti, paratha or rice. Here other wadi recipes.
Masala Urad Dal Wadi (Badi) RecipeSun-dried spicy lentil nuggets or dumplings made of urad dal and spices.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Side Dish||Cuisine:||Uttar Pradesh|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 2 Cups - Urad Dal
- 2 tsp - Chopped Ginger
- 1 tbsp - Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 4 - Dried Red Chili
- 8 to 10 - Black Peppercorns
- To Taste - Salt
- 1/4 tsp - Asafoetida/Hing
- 1/2 tsp - Soda-bi-Carb
- Soak over night urad dal, we can use whole black urad dal or whole white urad dal or split black urad dal. Next morning wash urad dal well to remove all skin it will take more than 10-12 wash to do this. If using white urad dal just soak and wash well, drain water well from dal and keep aside.
- Grind cumin seeds, dry red chili, peppercorns, ginger in to coarse paste and keep aside, now grind urad dal in batches (if required) to slightly coarse paste with out using any water. If needed only add 1 to 2 tbsp of water max.
- Transfer urad dal batter in a large bowl, add masala paste we prepared, salt, soda, asafoetida (hing) mix well and beat batter with hand or a spoon until it's light and fluffy.
- Under ample of sun light lay a clean cloth and secure all corners well with weights (we normally use bricks), Or grease plates with oil.
- Keep a bowl of water near by and wet hand with that, take little amount of urad dal batter in hand, start drop in small, medium or big size over cloth keep some space in between. Repeat this until batter get's finished. ** You can also do this with spoon, take spoonful of batter and drop in cloth keeping space in between. Try to maintain same size.
- Let the badi/wadi get's dry under Sun for 1-2 days, remove all badi/wadi from cloth turn over and dry for 1 more day or until completely dried. **Drying time depends on size of wadi (badi).
- Time to dry these wadi/badi depends on how much Sun light you got and the size you made. Let it dry completely if you break the dried wadi it will break in pieces if it's not breaking means it didn't dry fully.
- You can adjust the spices to suit your needs.
- Once you keep the vadi (badi) for drying there should be no water touching them. If you think it's going to rain bring then back inside home and don't let even drops of water touching any wadi.
- Deep fry in oil and add in any curry of choice to use these vadi (badi).
Summer essential vadi or badi is ready to stock.
Badi, urad dal wadi, urad dal vadi, wadiya, urad dal wadiya, how to make masala urad dal badi,how to make wadi,masala urad dal wadi,vadiyal, urad dal vadiyalu, masala vadi