Navratri Fasting Food, Rules, Procedure | Navratri Vrat Ka Khana | Navratri Recipes 2014
As Navratri is starting from 25th Sep to 3rd Oct 2014 this year, Navratri festival celebrated across India in different forms and Durga pooja, dandiya & garba and kolu/golu (array of Idols) is famous among navratri customs. Nav means nine so it's 9 days of celebration and worship of Durga (Shaki/Devi) in different avatars and the 10th day is celebrated as Vijayadashami/Dussehra. I am compiling here for easy access of vrat or fasting recipes and general rules. Navratri Fasting (Vrat/Upwas) recipes or Navratri fasting food (vrat ka khana) and fasting rules or guidelines (Navratri Vrat Vidhi),
Apart from nine days of fun, food these nine days re-symbols Nine forms of Shaki or Durga are Bhadrakali, Jagadamba, Annapoorna Devi, Sarvamangala, Bhairavi, Chandika, Lalita, Bhavani and Mookambika. In most part of North and Western India fast or Vrat/Upvas is observed during Navratri, in this period or in-general during fasting there are few rules observed though some of the rules differs in each household but general guidelines remains same even in other festival like Janmashtami, Shiv Ratri, Ekadashi etc. I have listed recipes suitable for vrat or fasting with some recipes needs to be modify where common salt is mentioned, replace it with sendha namak (rock salt), avoid turmeric powder anywhere mention and other ingredients that has been follow in your house, for more read below the rules and guidelines I have listed. You can always change or modify things according to your own customs.
You can check South Indian Navratri Recipes Here
Check out 2015 New Navratri post here
Guidelines for Navratri Fasting (Vrat/Upwas)
- People perform Pooja in the morning and evening after Sun set, light a diya and agarbatti.
- Pooja is normally begin with Ganesh aarthi and vandana.
- Generally people don't wear anything black during fasting period and doesn't cut hair or shave.
- People keeping fast eat one meal a day and at one sitting. Some people chant Jai Mata Di nine times before and after meal.
- Meal is eaten after performing evening Pooja and after keeping Bhog or Naivedyam for MataRani or Goddess and meal is eaten as prasad (naivedyam).
- Milk, Fruits, Juice, Kheer can be eaten during day time. Some people only eat one meal after Sun set so it's your choice and customs what you want to follow.
Food not allowed in Navratri Fasting or Vrat
- Onion, Garlic are strictly avoided.
- Grains like rice, wheat flour, maida, Sooji (rava, semolina), Besan (chickpeas flour) are avoided.
- Legumes and all dals are avoided.
- Common Salt, turmeric, asafoetida, garam masala, dhaniya powder (coriander Seeds powder) are avoided.
Food Allowed in Fasting/Vrat or Upwas
- Flours and Grains - Kuttu Atta (buckwheat flour), Singhara Atta (water chestnut flour), Rajgira Atta(amaranth flour), Sama Chawal (barnyard milet), Sabudana (Sago/tapioca pearls), Makhana (Foxnuts).
- Fruits and Vegetables - All Fruits, Vegetables like Dudhi/Laudki (bottolegourd), Aloo (potato), Kaddu/kumhara (pumpking) Arbi/Kocchai (colocasia), Suran/Jimikanda (Yam), Shakarkhand (sweet potato), Kheera (Cucumber), Kaccha Kela (plantain).
- Milk Products & Dry Fruits - Milk, Curd, Paneer, Butter, Ghee, Khoya, Condensed milk, all milk prodcuts and dry fruits are allowed.
- Herbs and Spices - Sendha Namak (rock salt) peanuts, coconut, imli (tamarind), Sugar, Honey, Gur (jaggery), cumin seeds, Choti Elaichi (green cardamom), Lung (cloves), Kalimirch (peppercorns), Jaiphal (nutmeg), Dalchini (cinnamon), Hari Mirch (green chili), Nimbu (lemon), Hara Dhaniya (coriander leaves) Kadi patta/meetha neem (curry leaves), Adrak (ginger).
Disclaimer - I have tried to include everything to best of my knowledge, consulting with family and friends but as mentioned rules differs in each household so in your home if something is avoided or included do follow that and treat this as a general guidelines. If you think I should add something to this list do let me know. And if you try any of the recipe do share a recipe picture with me :)
Note - Avoid turmeric powder, salt and anything that's used in any of below recipes. Use the guidelines as mentioned above.
Wishing you all Very Happy Navratri.
Note - Avoid turmeric powder, salt and anything that's you don't use during fasting in recipes. Use the guidelines as mentioned above.
Navratri 2014, navratri fast,navratri food, navratri fast recipes hindi,navratri fast 2014,navratri fast food,navratri fasting, Vrat Recipes,Vrat ka Khana, navratri rules guidelines, navratri vrat vidhi,vrat eating restrictions, Navratri Recipes, Navratri Vrat upwas recipes, navatri fasting food, fasting recipes, navratri diet recipes, phalahari khana, navratri 2013 recipes, recipes for navratri food, vrat food