Avarakkai Sambar Recipe | Broad Beans Sambar Recipe
I don't buy much of broad beans here as we don't get good avarakkai, there will be no seeds just for the name sake we can be happy that eating broad beans :), but few days back I saw good broad beans in mustafa and got myself a pick, along with usual broad beans, potato and badi curry, I also made this pedda chikkudu sambar and enjoyed as a weekend lunch.
Avarakkai Sambar or broad beans sambar is easy sambar recipe where avaraikai is used and normal sambar procedure followed. If you like broad beans or semphalli then you will like this sambar too. Goes perfectly with rice and we don't really required any side dish just fryums or papad makes comforting lunch or we can pair along simple potato fry, okra fry etc.
If you are using fresh broad beans then it will get cooked fast, if not add little water before adding tamarind water to help the cook, I don't prefer to boil broad beans as it will become soggy and won't hold the shape in sambar. You can also cook in microwave for 5 mins and then add in sambar this way sambar cooking time will be less. Try this Avarakkai sambar for a change from usual affair.
You can also check other Sambar Recipes
Avarakkai (Broad Beans) Sambar RecipeVegan and healthy sambar with Avarakkai (broad beans).
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Side Dish||Cuisine:||South Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 3/4 Cups - Arhar/Toor Dal
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 15 to 18 - Broad Beans/Semphalli
- 1 tbsp - Tamarind (tightly packed)
- 2 tsp - Sambar Powder
- 1 Medium - Onion
- 1 Medium - Tomato
- 4 - Green Chilies
- To Taste - Salt
- 1 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves For Tempering/Tadka
- 2 tsp - Oil
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 1 - Dry Red Chili
- 1 tsp - Minced Garlic
- 7 to 8 - Curry Leaves
- Wash and pressure cook dal for 3 whistles, once pressure released mash dal and keep aside. Meanwhile Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup water for 10-15 mins and extract juice adding another 1/2 cup of water.
- Peel and slice onion, finely chop green chili, coriander leaves, tomato. Cut both edges of broad beans and remove fibre,trim on sides cut into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan, add all the items listed under 'For Tempering' and saute until garlic becomes light brown. Add onion and saute until onion becomes soft.
- Add broad beans (avarakkai) and saute for 4-5 becomes or until it starts to becomes soft. Add tomato, sambar powder, mix and cook until tomato gets mashed. Add 1/2 cup water and cook for 4-5 mins or until broad beans gets cooked. Add tamarind water and bring it to boil.
- Add dal and 1 to 2 cups of water, salt mix and bring to boil, simmer for 4-5 mins, add coriander leaves, stir and off flame.
Serve with rice, fryums or papad.
Delicious and easy avarakkai sambar.
Avarakkai sambar recipe, broad beans sambar, sambar recipe, Avarakkai sambar,Pedda Chikkudu sambar,Amarakai sambar,Chapparadvare sambar,Ghewda sambar,how to make Avarakkai sambar,Avarakkai recipes,semphalli sambar,semi recipes,semphalli sambar, Avaraikai Sambar, Avaraikai sambar,