Beetroot Sambar | Beetroot Sambar Recipe | Cukandar Sambar
People following my blog would know how big fan of beetroot I am but it's not only me in my house DH and brother both likes beetroot and thus beetroot is always just always in stock in my pantry so what I do? I make beetroot poriyal, beetroot masala, beetroot dal mostly but now a days I am making more of beetroot sambar than dal. And finally after several tries I manage to click this sambar picture, this beetroot sambar is getting featured at least weekly once now and if am in no mood or hurry I just served this along some papad and done with a good, comfort lunch.
Beetroot Sambar, or cukandar sambar is healthy sambar recipe where beetroot is used as main vegetable, made in Tamil style sambar. Beetroot is not only colorful but healthy vegetable and it's tasty too. As beetroot itself is little sweet in taste making sambar with beetroot is great idea and tamarind adds good sourness to this sambar making it sweet and sour. We can serve this sambar with rice, dosa, pongal, upma too.
You can also make beetroot pulao, beetroot cutlets, beetroot raita, beetroot pachadi, beetroot buttermilk, beetroot soup, beetroot sooji halwa, beetroot halwa, beetroot sprouts stir fry, beetroot pesto pasta to include this wonderful vegetable in your diet.
You can also check other Sambar Recipes
- Vendakkai (Okra) Sambar
- Avarakkai (Broad Beans) Sambar
- Murungakkai (Drumstick) Sambar
- Peerkangai (Ridge Gourd) Sambar
Beetroot Sambar RecipeDelicious sambar with beetroot vegetable, good side dish with rice.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Side Dish||Cuisine:||South Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 1 Cup - Arhar/Toor Dal
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1 Medium - Beetroot/Cukandar
- 1 tbsp - Tamarind, packed
- 1 Medium - Onion
- 1 Medium - Tomato
- 1 tbsp - Sambar Powder
- To Taste - Salt
- 2 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 5-6 Cups - Water To Temper or Tadka
- 1 tbsp - Oil or Ghee
- A Pinch - Asafoetida/Hing
- 5 to 6 - Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp - Fenugreek Seeds/Methidana
- 2 - Slit Green Chili
- 1 - Broken Dry Red Chili
- Wash and soak dal for 10 mins, soak tamarind in 1 cup water meanwhile peel and chop beetroot, slice onion, chop tomato, coriander leaves, slit green chilies.
- Pressure cook dal, beetroot with 2 cups water and turmeric powder for 4 whistles or until cooked, allow pressure to release and mash dal gently, keep aside. Extract juice from tamarind.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai add hing mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds (methi), curry leaves, green chili, dry red chili and saute until mustard, cumin splutters, add onion and saute until onion becomes light brown and soft.
- Add tomato, sambar powder mix well and cook until tomato gets soft, add tamarind water now and bring it to good boil, simmer for 2-3 mins. Add cooked dal with beetroot, mix well.
- Add 2-3 cups of water, salt and mix well, cover and cook in medium flame until boil comes. Remove any forth if comes on top and simmer for 5-7 mins in medium flame, add coriander leaves mix and off flame.
- You can add garlic or ginger in tempering if wished.
- You can also add other vegetables with beetroot.
Simple, delicious, colorful betroot sambar.
beetroot sambar recipe,how to make beetroot sambar recipe,Recipes for beetroot sambar, cukundar sambar, cukandar dal,easy sambar recipe, sambar recipe,how to make beetroot sambar, side dish for rice, vegan sambar recipe,vegetable sambar recipe,beetroot sambar andhra