Varagu Pulao | Varagu Pulao Recipe | Kodo Millet Pulao | Millets Recipes
I finishing all my millets stock with making it normal rice that I realized now I am posting more of Kodo Millet recipes but the millets benefit is we can try the same recipe with any of the millet so you can use any other millet too to make this delicious pulao like Little millet (saamai), barnyard millet (kuthiravali), foxtail millet (thinai). This easy varagu pulao we can make for lunch, dinner or even for lunch box as this is very quick to prepare, freshly crushed pepper powder adds wonderful flavor to this pulao so it's highly recommended not to miss that and also you can use any other vegetables of your choice.
Varagu Pulao, Kodra pulao, kodo millet pualo is easy, flavorful pulao or rice variety and it makes great lunch, dinner or lunch box recipe. Varagu pulao is like all millets healthy, gluten-free, vegan making it excellent choice for weight watchers, diabetics people as we could not miss regular rice at all in this recipe. Kodo millet also known as varagu in tamil, kodra in hindi/marathi/punjabi/gujarati, arikelu in telugu, harka in kannda, koovaragu in malayalam, kodo in bengali and kodua in oriya.
In the photos the pulao doesn't looks very tasty but this is very good to eat, try it to believe :) Serve with any raita of choice here I made Boondi Raita along.
You can check other Millets Recipes,
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Pesarattu
- Saamai Karuveppilai Sadam (Little Millet Curry Leaves Rice)
- Kuthiravali (Barnyard Millet) Peanut Rice
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Tomato Pulao
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) Sambar Rice
- Thinai (Foxtail Millet) Pongal
- Saamvat/Kuthiravali (Barnyard Millet) Pulao
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Halwa
- Rajgira (Amaranth Flour) Paratha
- Ragi Inippu Pidi Kozhukattai
- Mixed Millets Flour/Sathu Maavu
Varagu Veg Pulao | Kodo Millet Vegetables Pulao RecipeVegan, gluten-free pulao with Kodo Millet (Varagu) and vegetables.
|Author:||Priti||Category:||Main Course||Cuisine:||North Indian|
|Prep Time:||Cook Time:||Total Time:|
- 1 Cup - Varagu/Kodo Millet
- 1 Medium - Onion
- 1 Medium - Potato
- 1 Medium - Carrot
- 1/2 Cup - Peas
- 1/2 Cup - Cauliflower Forests
- 3 - Green Chilies
- 2 tsp - Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1/4 tsp - Fresh Pepper Powder (optional)
- To Taste - Salt
- 1 tbsp - Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 2 Cups - Water or Coconut Milk To Temper or Tadka
- 1 tbsp - Oil or Ghee
- 1 - Bay Leaf
- 1/4 inch - Cinnamon
- 1 - Crushed Green Cardamom
- 3 - Cloves
- 1/2 piece - Star Anise
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Fennel Seeds
- Wash and soak varagu (millet)for 10 mins or until required, meanwhile peel and slice onion, slit green chilies, chop coriander leaves. Peel and dice potato, carrot, cut cauliflower in forests, you can use any other vegetables of your choice.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cook add all the items listed under 'To Temper or Tadka' and allow cumin, fennel seeds to splutter. Add onion, green chili, ginger-garlic paste, saute until onion becomes golden brown and soft.
- Add potato, carrot and saute for 1-2 min or until potato becomes light golden (if using fresh peas add now with potato). Add peas, cauliflower and saute for a minute.
- Add varagu (kodo millet), crushed pepper powder and mix well, saute for a minute. Now add water, salt, coriander leaves stir well to combine, close cooker and cook for 2 whistles. Once pressure released gently mix pulao.
Serve hot or warm with raita and enjoy the quick, delicious meal. I served with boondi raita.
- You can replace water with coconut milk for extra flavors.
- Fresh pepper adds wonderful flavor to this pulao so try not to skip, if you think it will be too spicy for you then reduce green chilies.
- You can make this tomato pulao with any other millets with little millet (saamai), barnyard millet (kuthiravali), foxtail millet (thinai) or regular rice too.
Simple, delicious, gluten-free, vegan varagu vegetables pulao.
varagu vegetables pulao recipe, varagu pulao recipe, varagu sadam,kodo millet pulao, millet pulao, millet recipes, how to cook millets, varagu pualo recipe, vegan, gluten-free,lunch box recipes, millets variety,varagu rice benefits